Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
a/c charging.

couple weeks ago, we had a very warm spell, so i decided to check out my a/c. still cool, but not peak performance. over the last couple years, i have looked at this system, and with only the port on the compressor, that is way too close to the alternator brkt, it has always seemed impossible, without some extremely special tool. i have tried 90 degree fittings etc, but no use.
time to try something else !
went into my spares division (tool crib at work !!) got a 3" bearing, and made a bracket about 6" long, with a slot in it, for adjustment. removed the air filter box at the afm, to give access to the alternator. after totally loosening off the compressor belt, i removed the alternator top bolt, and installed the bracket with the bearing, thru this bolt, back onto the alternator, and nipped it up. the bearing runs on the back of the belt, and takes up the slack, via the slot adjustment!. a pipe on the end of the bracket to set tension, then tightened up, and hey presto ! everything running, and with the compressor adjustment bar all the way out, now my fitting goes on easily, and i can at last, re-charge the system!
i know there will probably be an easier way, for the majority, to do this job, but the port faces right into the alternator brkt, with about 6mm clearance. over the years, i have made many "special" tools for working on this car, but this one was kinda funny, but at least it worked !
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I don't guess that you leave the braket in place after you charge it up, or do you? Pretty nifty, I like hearing creative engineering stories. I went the lazy route and bought a shorter belt. No more hassle, plug in the hose and charge away.

Good job!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
re

no, i dont think it would be advisable to leave it in place, although it did cross my mind!! i have to say, it did work really well.
now, if i can only figure out a way of changing out my clutch assembly, without too much grief etc etc.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: