Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Got another one and this one includes oil!!!

Ok gurus. I took off the undercarriage protection plate to inspect the new car after driving it for a bit. Well it was rather dirty, but that was expected because the previous owner wasn't one for doing any sort of cleaning. Then I noticed that my hands and the passenger side of the thing was covered in a thin layer of oil. I got out a flashlight and found that there was fresh oil coming that was dripping from the power steering pump. HMMM... I checked and it's not power steering fluid. It's not coming from the front seals. It's coming from somewhere behind the steering pump but before the block and I can't see anything from teh seals. Any ideas? If I get some time I'll snap some pics, probably post finals!!!lol

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

EDIT:The correct photo
okay so I know the pic is of a turbo motor but the oil is on the back side of the equivalent of this pully, opposite this photo, but none is coming from where the pully enters the motor... (or at least the pully in this part of the motor.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by blue2004STi; 05-06-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Does the a/c work? You blew a seal, on the compressor, the front one. Common problem for a/c compressors as old as ours are.

Outside of that, it's behind the belt cover, and the oil gets slung by the accessory belt once it gets past the cover. I'm just guessing, but seriously doubt the latter.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 05-05-2008 at 11:03 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
You blew a seal.
You should probably keep this on the down-low; I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the United States.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

someone spilled a ton of oil removing the oil filter.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The problem is that the oil wasn't there, I drove it and now it is. Noone has removed the oil filter in a while, about 2000 miles. Also there are no leaks coming from the filter or near the filter....

Thanks,

How do I check the seals? What's the easiest way?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

winter-hater club member

possible leak from the oil pressure sender and/or the oil cooler seals.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Check the lower balance shaft for leaks
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I feel stupid now, I wasn't with it enough this morning to even glance at the PPI I have that was done about 2 weeks ago. Apparently it's a leak in the cam housing..... and it says "cam housing leaking oil & oil pan gasket," Hmm... I assume it means the oil pan's leaking too. Well how would you guys suggest tackling this? Are there some parts I should go ahead and get or should I tear it apart first?

Matt

EDIT: Feel even more stupid now. I drew on the wrong side of the motor, It's on the passenger side...sigh....to much thinking lately. EDIT: Photo fixed

Last edited by blue2004STi; 05-06-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

In the revised picture it looks like it might be the cam housing and the oil pan leaking.

The oil pan gasket isn't any fun. You are going to have to drop the cross member to change it out, I think. IIRC, you don't have to remove it completely, support the engine, loosen the motor mounts, then drop the cross member down so you can get the pan off. It's been a while, and I did other things while I was in there, but I think I remember reading it has to come down or the motor has to go up, a combination of both is the happy medium.

While you are in there might as well change the mounts. The cam tower project lends its self the same, might as well reseal the front of the motor. When you are resealing it, you might as well throw a turbo on it, it just never ends.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I had similar leaks in my 87'. It was the cam cover. The belts were recently changed so I saved time by marking the belt and cam sprocket. I then loosened the adjuster to pull the cam cover without removing the belt. The belt must not move on the crank sprocket. The cam cover gasket was in pieces! Cleaning took about 1/3 of the time. I am happy I fixed when I did, the gasket pieces could have clogged the small slotted oil passages.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: