Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
rob c

Garage
Porsche Crest white creamy substance under oil filler cap

Hi all , new to 944 s2 ownership would much appreciate some opinions on this !
well here is the prob bout 6 weeks ago i noticed the dreaded white gunge on oil filler cap , it had been cold and i had been doing some short trips so i was praying it was just condensate. i marked coolant level on expansion tank ,checked coolant for oil it clear . level of coolant has not budged in 6 weeks.cooling system is working perfect. flushed engine changed oil but not filter .ran the car over the week end checked and white gunge forming again, i kept old oil and no sign of moisture discolouring etc. any body ? this is keeping me awake at night
Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...

The seals in your oil cooler are shot, or you have a bad headgasket.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

White and creamy...this is a car we are talking about

I know thay some sludge in the top of the oil filler is normal, but white and creamy sound like a seal problem.

1990-Porsche 944 S2 Project Hair Loss
2001-Saab 9-5 BSR Best car I have owned
2008-BMW 328i (Just another beamer)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

+1 for legion.
Welcome and the bad news is the longer you let the white gunge stay the more it attacks the rod bearings. Change oil cooler seals and flush hoses with dish soap. Do not use a commercial HD radiator cleaner or you may develop additional coolant leaks. This is a sloppy job and if not done correct your first try will be practice. Get new OPRV aluminum crush washer/seal and also oil pressure sender crush washer/seal. Watch out for the terminals on the sender, they are hollow and break easy-another $40-$60.

Spring, this is what makes it special ;-

Good luck

John_AZ
1988 924S + 1987 924S

Last edited by John_AZ; 05-09-2008 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: crush washer/seal= better explanation.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
ohhh noooooo. head gasket, hopefully not, or seals like said.
87 924S red (engine fire)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
WAIT. Don't jump off the bridge yet.

It is very common for these cars to have exactly the symptoms you are mentioning during the spring and fall, when the temperatures fluctuate drastically. I have seen this in every 944-series car I have owned, and every 944-series car that a friend has owned. It is normal.

Keep an eye on it, though. Watch the dipstick, watch the coolant tank. If you start to see milkshake in the coolant, it's probably the oil cooler seals; if you see milkshake on the dipstick, it's probably a bad head gasket. But I have a feeling that, if you aren't seeing any other symptoms, you might just be experiencing what is normal for these cars.
Black 2007 Porsche Cayman S (snappy nickname coming soon): Daily Driver (at least until winter!). Garnet Red 1986 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"/"Suicide Machine"):SOLD. Dark Silver 2009 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"):SOLD. Alpine White 1983 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf") :SOLD. Guards Red 1984 Porsche 944 :One-time parts car, SOLD.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

944S2 does not have the oil cooler you have in the 944 8V engine. The oil cooler is external with the oil cooled by air not water. Some milk shake is acceptable I think too so long as there is no coolant loss or the coolant is not contaminated by oil. If this is evident then the head gasket would be suspect.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Moisture is very damaging to the engine. If the water level is not decreasing, and not getting oil added (oil pressure is higher than water when the engine is cold, water pressure higher than oil pressure when you turn it off), then you want to look at the engine staying too cold. to burn off moisture from the air burned. A lot of short trips will contribute to this. It aggravates sludge.
Make sure your thermostat is not stuck open. Run a cleaner in the oil like AutoRx. one that takes 1000 miles or so to thoroughly clean up the sludge and anything else that might be holding back the heat transfer.
Use an oil with enough detergent/dispersant to hold that moisture in suspension and burn it off. (See my oil report in signature) for details.

Richard's Corvair

Selection of the Right Motor oil for the Corvair
Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Honor Animus Vis Equorum

Garage
A compression test would be useful.

Is it paranoia if everyone really IS out to get me?

Starve all trolls - do not quote or respond to them.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
rob c

Garage
Porsche Crest update

thanks for the replys guys , much respect .
over the weekend i drained some oil and put it in a clean glass bottle same with coolannt from expansion tank , coolant was clean as a whistle and the oil was same .
but i have come up with another theory STEAM getting into tha air intake ? i park on a hill arse in air (steady on now boys its the car im talking about) rain water is running down the hood and getting in between the hood and bumper and soaking the rad which when heats up is produceing a lot of steam in air box area i wonder i wonder fingers crossed that is being sucked in and oil not getting hot enough to burn it off from all the short trips
Old 05-11-2008, 02:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbook8@gmai View Post
Hi all , new to 944 s2 ownership would much appreciate some opinions on this !
well here is the prob bout 6 weeks ago i noticed the dreaded white gunge on oil filler cap , it had been cold and i had been doing some short trips so i was praying it was just condensate. i marked coolant level on expansion tank ,checked coolant for oil it clear . level of coolant has not budged in 6 weeks.cooling system is working perfect. flushed engine changed oil but not filter .ran the car over the week end checked and white gunge forming again, i kept old oil and no sign of moisture discolouring etc. any body ? this is keeping me awake at night
repeated short trips don't get up to operating temps and do more harm than not driving.

clean it up and drive longer and you probably won't see it.

"may the force be with you"
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
rob c

Garage
thanks !
im not going to check it or drive it for a week im just gonna look out the window and throw positive thoughts at it for a week hopefully that helps .
Old 05-11-2008, 03:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Redline Racer

If the oil and coolant look clean, then it's probably fine. I was concerned when I first saw it in my car, which also had clean fluids, and was told it is normal. My theory is that, since burning hydrocarbon fuels like gas produce at least some water vapor, the blowby that gets into the crankcase and evacuated though the AOS has some moisture that condenses as the engine cools, and it makes white sludge with the oil residue inside the filler neck and cap. The moisture just gets burned off as long as the oil gets to full operating temp, which doesn't really happen with short trips, probably allowing it to build up. If you take the oil cap off when the engine is hot, you'll usually see a small amount of steam floating around inside.
1987 silver 924S 210k mi! - Rebuilt motor survived 60K so far. Bottom end balanced, Custom mild ported head, Port matched intake, LR 944MAX chip, Thush Welded muffler, Bilstein shocks, MSD Blaster 2 coil, ect ect...Needs 8 more valves!
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 24V DOHC- New toy/backup plan...Borla cat back, Injen intake. Needs headers and a real set of cams.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
rob c

Garage
Porsche Crest

result !!!!!! ( i hope) just checked the filler cap and its clean as a whistle .suking in steam from a wet radiator !! what are the odds ? tks for all replys very much appreciated cheers
Old 05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think it is as some one else noted. Short trips or running it short periods to keep it lubed in the winter does not burn off the condensation that can build up.

Longer trips heat the engine up to the correct temps and get rid of that. My 924 was the same way this spring. I was worried about it until I took it for a more extended trip... now oil is clear.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: