Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Alrighty... 2 new problems- headlights, radiator fan

First for the radiator fan. For the past few months the fan has been staying on once I exit the car and will run until the battery is fully depleted... well it only happened once or twice before I started to pull the fuse after shutting off the engine. I am pretty sure it is the temperature switch. Recently the fan wont start. Am I in the right area?

Secondly my headlights have always worked correctly (perhaps a bit dim). Until about three days ago neither sides beams worked. They will come up and go down but no light. However the high beams will come up if you hold down the switch for them... but they wont stay on without your help... I'm guessing that both lamps didn't go out at the same time... fuses are all good. Help! Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
First problem....temp switch on the radiator. easy fix

2nd problem....Yes they can go out at the same time. $30 if you can just replace the bulbs (non sealed units)
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

if they only come on when you hold the switch in and not in any other circumstance then it could possibly be your head light relay that's faulty. the fact that they come on when you hold the switch should mean they not blown? try fit a spare bulb if you have and if it doesn't solve the problem then check the relay.

Last edited by james999; 05-21-2008 at 03:50 AM..
Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I Had The Same Problem On My 944 The Radiator Switch Needed Replacing Apx 20, Take The Two Wires Of The Sensor Switch On The Radiator Just Below Top Hose Touch Them Together Providing The Rest Of The Circuit Is As It Should Be The Fan Will Work Pull The Wires Apart It Will Stop. Throw Switch Away Put New One On, Make Sure When You Order One It Comes With New Washer Some Dont. Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
yes it could also be the relay. But turning on the high beams doesn't mean that the low isn't burnt out. They are different filaments...one for low, one for high.

Dont know of a way though to check the relay. Might want to check out www.clarks-garage.com
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Headlight switch. Check your grounds to and from it. Do they retract properly when you turn them off?
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered n00b

One other thing to check on the headlight may be wiring itself.
This happened on my '88. The low beam on one side would not work. I verified that the sealed unit was in working order, but the passenger low beam would not come on. It turned out to be the wiring. The headlight moving around for 20 years finally cracked the insulation on the stock harness. To fix, I opted to get the headlight harness from Rennbay, and switched to Hella e-codes. Great upgrade.

Cheers

Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: