Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Power window off it's track...

Wow, I opened up a can of worms. Did a bunch of traveling this weekend around St. Louis (Steve thanks again for the speakers!),

slammed my door a bit hard at one point and knocked something loose in the driver's side window. Tried rolling it up and down and head a clank and some strange noises.

Got home and took the door apart. The doors are thankfully rather easy to take apart but unfortunately I had to ditch the plastic saran-wrap stuff that seals the door panel from the elements to get to the window area.

So there is this X linkage in there right? And on that X are two rollers which sit in slots on a track. This track is connected to the bottom of the window.

My track had fallen off the window. Yep. And one of the rollers went with it, disconnecting itself from the X track. I re-fitted the window track (how loosely I am not sure) but still cannot get the small plastic roller back on the spherical end on the X track. And even after that I am not sure how to get the window and track back on the rollers.

Has anyone done this sort of repair before? Any tricks to it? I have the door in a million pieces now and it is frustrating.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Instructions are in the shop manuals. Seriously.

You need to put the window regulator (manual or electric) at half-mast. The the window can be maneuvered at an angle to go in and out of the channels.

To get adequate maneuverability, you will probably have to remove the two large-headed Phillips screws in the door panel to the rear of the car, supporting one of the tracks.

This is a 3-handed operation, BTW, at least till you've got practice. Sorry, you probably didn't want to hear that either.

Remember, it does not get forced into place. It should go smoothly, with little force, or you've got something wrong (and are in good chance of breaking the glass).

If the little buttons came out of the track, something was put together wrong - most likely the rear track bolted to the door (as described above) with two screws, perhaps put in backwards.

HTH...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine did this, too. Take the window right out. There'll be a clean spot on it where the track was originally. Mark that off with tape so you can put the track back where it came from. I cleaned all the old goop from the track and removed the foam rubber mounts from it too. I spread the track a bit so the window would fit in easily but not loosely and then applied new adhesive to the foam rubber and glued it back into the track, then used a rubber mallet (gently) to reseat the track on the window. I squeezed the track tight onto the glass with some wide pliers.

You can drill out the window lift where the roller is and use a small bolt/washers/nut to hold the roller. I greased the track and the rollers while I was at it.

Turn your ignition on and move the window lift so you can get at the rollers easily, then insert the window into the door from the outside and lower it onto the lift. Now the fun part. Get one hand on the bottom of the window and work the window switch so you can spread the lift rollers/scissors far enough apart to coax the window onto them (there's enough wiggle room for this), then lift the window (with the scissors) and they'll seat. I seem to remember doing the front roller first and having to tilt the window to get the rear started, but that was about a year ago! YMMV. I may remember more later, but for now, I hope this helps.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wow this is the biggest pain in my A I have come across.

Got the window slid back in and on the levers but without the one roller that came off. Widow rides up and down and the rolled mount. Probably not the best long term solution. I am keeping the door panel off for a few days to see if this will work or not. It's so frustrating to work in there and especially because I am trying to do it by myself.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Quality

Windows, especially power ones, I refuse to touch. My mounting thingy came off the bottom of the glass... forget that. Brought it to a shop, they showed me how they reattached and greased eveyrthing, and replaced the motor/regulator (new with motor than JUST the motor on Pelican), and now my window is faster than a new car (no kidding, I would RACE my windows against any 944 or 951), using genuine P-parts, and the glass didn't break.

The most terrible thing would be to be frustrated, break the glass while installing, now need new glass, THEN still have to install it (or get it installed this time). =)

Good luck. Pics?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
At least it's not a Porsche thing. ALL power windows are a pain to work on. Same thing with factory power locks.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I didn't think it was that hard until the time came to get the rollers back in the track. That took a little finesse. I'd rather do the power windows than a clutch...
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Since I'm having a stupid door problem, I figure I will ask here rather than start a new thread....

My driver door is corroding behind the power window switch. Every time I close the door the switch housing pops out half an inch. I took the panel off and tried to back the pressed-paper backing with a little firm plastic but it still doesn't catch. Short of gluing it, does anyone have a good trick to keep this together? The door vinyl is in really good shape so it wouldn't make sense to replace the whole panel due to this minor deterioration, and I'd rather not spend an hour or two disassembling the door and fiddling with this stupid problem again only to end up frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_iii View Post
I would RACE my windows against any 944 or 951
Oh really? Are you a betting man? My motor just died so I modified a little 2-stroke weedwhacker engine to do the job. It's kind of a pain to add separate fuel just to get the windows open, but they go Closed to Open in .6 seconds. Once, someone was leaning on the door with the open window when I pushed the button, and it took their fingers clean off!

(Actually I just wanted to say Hi, I'm in Morris County as well. I don't see too many 944s around.)

Last edited by PXJ800; 06-10-2008 at 01:05 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

PXJ it sounds like a but of glue is about your only option there.

As far as my window goes, I replaced my entire assembly with the assembly from my other car since it's being track prepped and will never need it again. This solved the broken roller problem. It wasa pain to do this as things didn't want to fit in and out and I took the motor off to get the assembly in and then it wouldn't go back on... .etc etc etc... plus it's about 100 degrees outside today.

I got in in and going up and down, now I just got to get the window back on the rollers and in the tracks. Without sratching my tint. :-/

Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: