Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Well, I did push the pedal beyond it's normal travel, since that's what I had to do to bleed the things. So yes, I probably farked up the MC. It feels different than air in the lines to me - usually air in the lines is very black-and-white in terms of pedal feel: You have squish, and then suddenly a normal, firm pedal. This is more like pushing against a progressively stiffening spring - it never feels totally firm, even if you stand on the thing as hard as possible. It just squishes more and slowly drops lower and lower.

Ah yes, this car is soooo much fun... I just wanted to put in some new brake pads. $200+ and more than a week later, I have a new MC, a new vacuum pump, a crap-ton of brake fluid, and likely a shorter life-expectancy from all the frustrations; all to go along with those damn $40 pads.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

hahahahahahahah... at least you have a great sense of humor!!! I just finished the rear bearings on my car and they feel worse now then before I changed them I think I somehow got a fleck of sand or dirt in there when I was putting them back together. I am sure that these will wear out in 200 miles and I will get to do this all over again. But at least I did not crack the bleeder when I took off the caliper My seven year old was able to stomp on the brake pedal so that I coudl put 8 millions foot pounds of torque on that axle nut. I think he may be my new buddy the next time I bleed brakes.
Did you smash your mity-vac against the wall? Please take a video so that we can all revel in the joy of that stupid tool getting wrecked
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tight View Post
Guess you haven't done a clutch yet?

Guess you havent done an engine swap yet? haha

Yeah the clutch is quite a b**** to get to. I had my engine out, and still had trouble getting in the bell housing.

87 944s parts car (sold)

92 Ranger Lifted
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

At least if you're doing an engine swap, or a clutch even, you'd expect it to be a big job. All I wanted to do is swap out the old pads for new, and here I am, flat broke for about the 3rd week in a row, with a semi-functional car.

At least I fixed my fuel-pressure regulator so I don't have to vent raw fuel out under my car at $4.45 / gal, yay!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

If the new pads are trying to seat against rotors that were not turned, the pedal will be soft until the pads seat. it doesn't take much.
Rule that out before you go buying a new master cyl. You've suffered enuf.....

Jon
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

You know, I'm starting to suspect that sort of thing... IDK if it's just my head messing with me, but I could swear the brakes have gotten better over the last few days after ordering a new MC. They're still not perfect though, and I've probably done at least 100 miles since the pads first went in.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

bed the pads - see stoptech for the procedure - it will probably take 1000 miles to get past the wear pattern on the rotors - those really should be measured and surfaced or replaced though - the deposits on the rotors will never work quite right with the new pads
Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I love the bedding process!!! Freaks out the guy in front of you when you all the sudden brake down to 10mph from 60 mph and then catch back up to him to do it all over again
Make sure you do not come to a complete stop for a least a few minutes or else you will leave a deposit on the rotor that you will feel for the next 10,000 miles. Also, make sure not to put the hand brake on when you have got the brakes smoking hot. You know you are done when you can smell brakes. Just go easy though and give a little cool down in between the bedding stops... I wrecked a set of rotors in 5 miles getting a little over zealous with the bedding procedure.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I bedded them using the proper procedure, but they do probably need some more time to wear in. I guess I can't totally equate this brake job to my last one (on a different car, mind you) because I changed the rotors on that one too.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Just ran across this thread and was wondering if your pads eventually work out (bedded)?

I, too, am planning to change out my rear pads,..will have to look closely (and mic) the rotor...I've no plans to deal with fluid swap so I sure don't want to visit your ordeal! Yet I still want to be prepared for worst-case condition. Am ordering the pressure bleeder tonight, to have on hand. The pedal feels fine right now, and I would expect nothing less than this great feel......might as well get the larger quantities of multi-color brake fluid on order, too.

Anywaze,..just wondering how things worked out for you, Z06C5R.

My best,

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Question Bleeding Brakes Sucks!!

I have done dozens, if not hundreds of brake jobs in my 50 years, and never before have I had so much trouble bleeding brakes! I ddi everything everyone else did here, but I get one interesting problem, when I remove the hose from the caliper (front left), it sucks in air like I was drawing a vaccum inside the caliper... maybe I was, but it's a new caliper, and has been in use for 3 months without issue... just when I go to bleed the brakes, I get constant air, and when I think I might be close, I tried test driving it, and it acted like a master cylinder with the pedals pumping up them slowly going to the floor.... can just air do that?? I don't mind doing the mastercylinder, but I am disabled with cancer (yeah, and outside in blistering heat working on a damn car for my son that I love and will do anything for) amd money is practically non-existent - rather than just light...let me know what you think guys - later
Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: