Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Removing Windows from 944 1987

I need help, maybe a diagram or a description, on how to remove my door windows and rear quarter panel windows. I am planing on installing new ones, as the ones I have are all scratched.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
The rear windows are really easy. Working inside the car, just take a flat-head screwdriver and slide it under the gasket and push out (carefully), so that the window unseats. When you get two sides of the gasket off, so that the windows are close to coming out, have someone outside hold the window to catch it when it comes loose.

You can catch it yourself if you're careful, just reaching around outside with one hand - but it's easier (and safer) to have someone else help.

Putting the windows back in is just the reverse.

Have someone outside press the window into place while you work with a screwdriver levering the gasket back on - over the interior pieces - kinda like putting a bike tire back on a rim.

Make sure the gasket covers the side panels.

Say 5-10 minutes or less to pop one out and maybe 10-15 minutes to put back in.

I've never dismounted a front window. Maybe someone else can chime in.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks

thanks mikepellegrini. That was helpful. I will wait for someone else to help me out with the front ones!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
If /when you take the rear windows out, it is a good time to upgrade your rear speakers. Clark's has a post on this also.

You need a trim tool to take off the door panels. Relatively cheap, you can get one at your local auto parts store. A good time to upgrade your front speakers too.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Taking the front (door) windows out is pretty straightforward, you just need to be careful and methodical. Get an egg box or similar to put all the small bits and screws in as they come off.

From memory: First remove the trim from inside the door. There are screws all along the bottom and one or two at the top towards the front. You will also need to remove the plate behind the door catch, and undo the screws that hold the arm rest in place. Oh, and the remove speaker as well. And unscrew the lock button. Once you have all the screws out, gently pull the trim away from the door at the bottom and some concealed fastenings will pop out. Once these are free, lift the trim up and it will disengage from the window channel.

Once the trim is out of the way, peel off the plastic vapour barrier and put it to one side.

You now need to remove the window lift mechanism and motor. The lift mechanism is connected to the window by two rollers that run in channels attached to the base of the window. Three screws free it I think, and disconnect the electrics to the motor. With this free you can wiggle the motor and lift mechanism free from the window and remove it from the door (maybe you won't need to, I have only ever done this to get at the motor, not change the glass.) It's a good idea to take the motor out anyway so that you can lube it and make sure it's running free. DON'T lube the big rack and pinion on the lift mechanism, it attracts muck and will wear out ten times as fast.

With the motor and lift mechanism free from the glass, you should be able to cant the glass at an angle and pull it up through the seals and away from the door.

Re-assembly, as it says in all the good manuals, is a reverse of the above procedure . . .

You can do it on your own - I have - but it helps when reassembling to have someone to hold the glass while you get the rollers on the lift mechanism back into their channels on the bottom of the widow. This is the most difficult part of the job, but with patience it can be done.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Pelican sells the door panel clips for $.75 each and you may want to get a few spare.
While you are at it project would be to lube and clean the door handle mechanism:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_door_handle_tuneup/944_door_handle_tuneup.htm

This can be done later but if your front speakers are OEM you may want to get new.
4"x6" max on door. ALSO max height from magnet to speaker top 1.75 inch! Very restrictive. Back-lots of room.

GL
John_AZ
1988 924S + 1987 924S
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
This tool will work for removing the windows once you have the panels off. Also works for the rear windows.

Of course use this tool only if you dont want the windows anymore.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100007626&N=10000003+90109+501347
Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Lightbulb Gracias!!!

Thanks. I will do all these steps today. I appreciate it!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: