Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Vrooom, CLUNK!

So, thanks to this forum's wonderful advice, I got the engine running very well. Much better than I've ever heard it.

To celebrate I decided to take a drive up to the autoparts store and get new windshield wipers (ooo, extravagant). This went pretty smooth, and I headed home. I cruised to a stop at a light, and then took off. Or tried too. What I really did was let out the clutch and wince at the racket in the back. I sort of assumed that I had shredded the first gear from the noise, so I decided to try to limp home in second. No dice, huge racket. I pushed the car into a nearby parking lot. Lucky for me, I was in the Latino, neighborhood, lots of help, more suggestions than my manliness could take. Close inspection revealed, joy of joys, that I had not shredded the tranny, and instead had sheared off all the cv joint bolts attached to the tranny.

At this time, I should mention that I've been hearing a rattle toward the back of the car between 1500-2000rpm. My keen deductive skills had concluded I needed a new muffler hanger, maybe.

Apparently what I needed was a mechanic that torques cv-joint bolts properly after doing the clutch, not to mention better deductive skills.

So I've towed the car home and am thinking of my next course of action. What do you think a mechanic would charge me to clean up this mess, vs how long do you think it would take me outside, no garage, in November?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

Don't even think about taking it back to the same "mechanic"

Degree of difficulty: One greasy rag on a scale of five greasy rags

If the 6 bolts sheared off at the flange on the tranny, just pull the flange and take it indoors to work on. The flange is held in with one long 8mm bolt. You will need to do something creative to hold the flange to undo the bolt. It is not torqued very tight (17lb-ft). Of course you will need bolts. Just remember to jack the car up on the same side as the flange you intend to remove. You will not have to drain the tranny that way. You might want to replace the seal "WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE".

I have used spare bolts cheap - just pay shipping. PM me if you want.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here's some pictures of the carnage. I learned something new on the tow home... You shouldn't wire up one end of a cv joint to your tow hitch, just to keep it out of the way. Eventually the other end falls off.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

While I'm at it, should I spring for a new half shaft? Or do you think I can rehab that one?

And what kind of bolts do I need, I'd like to poke around locally first. I know they are 12 points, are they 8mm? What thread?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Get a rebuilt with a limited lifetime warranty at Checker Auto parts near you.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=945&PTSet=A

GL
John_AZ
1988 924S + 1987 924S
Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I have never seen a properly rebuilt CV shaft for a 944 and I doubt I ever will. I have disassembled 3 or 4 "professionally rebuilt" shafts from different shops around here, and every single one had a variety of different sized ball bearings and the inner/outer races had big gouges in them.

Buy new shafts, they seem to be a little bit more expensive now than the last time I bought any, but they save you from having to do the job (and being stranded) again. My rule of thumb is to always use new bolts when installing CV shafts, and of course, make sure you have all the dog bone washers when you install the new one. Without them bad things happen

Buy my parts!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm not sure how many dogbone washers I need, but I am pretty sure I don't have enough anymore, although I'll crawl under there and survey the damage more closely this weekend.

If I need new dogbone washers, are they included with a new axle or do I have to track them down seperately?

I was looking at 944online and they advertised a new aftermarket axel for $140, has anyone tried one of those? $140 is a little more inviting than $300, but I don't want to have to do this again for another couple 100k miles.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
been there, done that on my 924.....limped it home w/ 2 bolts in it and took off the flange and headed to a machine shop.....4 broken bolts and 20 bucks later, i headed home to fix it. a very simple fix really. for my 944, i got the axle halfshafts from www.*********************** or call your local parts guy Ralph at olympus auto parts, he will get you one!
1988 XJ 5in lift,long arms, 4.6 stroker, ax-15 w/ 35s
1995.5 Audi S6 Full RS2 bolt-ons, EFI tuned.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

when i heard rattle from my rear end this morning, i thought it was the muffler hanger too, so i grabbed hold of the muffler so it stops vibrating, and it did, so i knew it wasnt my tranny.

phewww and thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
944paige

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 911paige
HI ..... wow after reading this thread i figured let me peek under the car to see what i have and to my surprise ..... i think i should tighten these bolts before i drive the car....thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow loose CV bolts.. good times.
Never thought we would need a 'check your cv bolts' thread. What next, a 'check to make sure your transaxle is still attached'?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

For my part, I figured when I paid a mechanic to do my clutch and change out the transmission fluid/check for tranny problems, that the CV bolts would be taken care of.

Since I was wrong , I'm glad that my folly has helped out other people. Like those bolts hanging out ^. Scary!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
LOL, it is VERY common to see these bolts back out. Lots of people lose one or two of them before they notice any symptoms at all.
New bolts and/or blue loctite seems to help keep them in place. Also make sure the contact surfaces between the CV joint and flange/stub axle are clean and dry. The power is actually transferred through those faces and if they are allowed to slip it will cause the CV bolts to back out rather quickly.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Make sure you check the threads on the transaxle flange. They may have been damaged or ovaled when the bolts loosened and broke.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Back in 92 when I bought my first 924, the PO warned me to periodically check the CV joint bolts as they back out occasionally.

Not a new issue...

Clean surfaces and loctite are good ideas.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Send a message via Skype™ to SolReaver
good 2 know

I use a bit of locktite on the bolt head where it meets the surface.
Further I run a line of paint on the bolt head to the surface so that a visual inspection lets you know it the bolt has loosened. It is an old school trick handed down from a WWII aircraft mechanic and it lets me know if anything needs attention with a quick look.

Thanks 4 the post, I did not know this was a common issue and I will be sure it never happens to any car I work on.
There may be nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Porsche: Ruby Red 84 928S : White 87 924s 2.5L NA (Blinky) M44/07-43H10676 spoiler delete - 046/2B - Belts 9/12, Clutch and OC seals 8/08 andd Red 94 Del Sol: Please put your Make, Model and Year in Sig. Try not to break more than you fix.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I didn't know this was a common issue either. It just doesn't seem to get as many posts as the timing belts or oil cooler seals or clutch or ball joints or "can I turbo my N/A.""

I like the paint on the bolt trick, I'll use that so I can have an easier way of checking.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Mine snapped on me on my first 944. I stopped at a toll booth. Put it in gear, let out the clutch, the car rolled about 4 feet and BANG! I had no idea what happened. I crawled under it and seen the axle hanging down. I guess I shouldnt have ignored that "minor vibration". I was able to screw a few bolts back in, but two had snapped clean off. The other ones had backed all the way out.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

the exact thing happened to my friend @ 1 month ago, new clutch then bam!

they charged him to repair the loose\broken bolts even though they left them loose
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Damn Monk! Thanks for the write up on this on. I will be heading out to the garage right away to confirm! Have you made any decisions on how to move forward; rebuilt, machine shop, DIY...? Thanks for keeping up posted and good luck!
2015 Charger Rallye SXT
Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: