Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I want this. Should I buy?

Got a LOT of excellent feedback on a 928 I considered buying. Seemed NOT to be a good deal. So I passed.

Now, I'm also VERY interested in a 944. This one looks nice to me.

Based on the posting, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160305191000&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123.

I'm in Houston and would ship this. Would cost approx $650-$900 bringing up the cost to me (pre TTL) to $close to $5K ... if it sells near what it's currently at.

Hope that is not a problem posting. I am NOT the seller. Just a very interested buyer. DAS would take like 20 days to ship anyway. So I may be better off being patient and waiting for a nice 944 or 928 to pop up in Houston.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

not a bad looking car - i was clicking through and thinking "nice" - then i saw the shifter
Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So you're not a fan of automatics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
not a bad looking car - i was clicking through and thinking "nice" - then i saw the shifter
So you're not a fan of automatics then, I take it. Aside from that, is near $5K too much for a 944 that seems pretty darn decent?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

well, they aren't necessarily bad - in fact, i have one of those too - but, it's a 968, and therefore a 4 speed - if it were any wimpier though, or only a 3 speed, i think i'd have a hard time with it
Old 12-22-2008, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
$5k should get you a very clean 944, especially in the NY area (i live about 45 minutes from where the car is being sold). Have you ever driven an automatic 944 before? My old 924S was an automatic (same transmission as the 944) and its a fun car like all 944's, but the automatic really killed it. Its a 3-speed automatic with no overdrive. At 60-65mph you are turning 3k + rpm, making it not nearly as good on gas as the 5-speed 944's. Gas mileage may be a moot point for you, but aside from that its annoying also sometimes. Also if you thought the n/a 944 was slow acceleration wise, the automatic is even worse. Around 9 seconds 0-60 time.

I owned the 924S for about two years before i sold it for a 5-speed 944. It was a great car, but it always left me wanting more..especially on the highway. It wasnt bad at all around town though. I just dont want you to be disappointed buying the car sight unseen.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sigh.

I didn't buy. Not sure why. Wish I lived in the area. I'd have done it. The shipping and cost was an extra cost/concern I didn't want to deal with. Would've taken 20 days anyway.

Hopefully I can find something else as clean closer to home. Still sad. Tried placing a bid as time expired. Ah well.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Desertt5

Did I read it right, the belts have 37K and 10 years on them?? Maybe a good thing you passed.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

In this economy, plenty of good cars come up all the time -- and in my opinion, there is no reason to buy a 944 outside your immediate area. Spend the extra shipping cost on finding a good example near you. Just be patient -- your patience will pay off.

Flash968 -- you're currently right at 968 posts!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
My old 924S was an automatic (same transmission as the 944) and its a fun car like all 944's, but the automatic really killed it. Its a 3-speed automatic with no overdrive. At 60-65mph you are turning 3k + rpm, making it not nearly as good on gas as the 5-speed 944's. Gas mileage may be a moot point for you, but aside from that its annoying also sometimes. Also if you thought the n/a 944 was slow acceleration wise, the automatic is even worse. Around 9 seconds 0-60 time.
Actually, the 5th gear on a standard 924S (also installed on ROW 944's I think...)is shorter than the regular 944 5th speed and also turns around 3200 rpms at 65 mph. Personally, I love it. It still gets at least 25 mpg and makes the car alot more responsive and easier to pass and climb grades without having to downshift while cruising on the highway. It's also very coveted by the race car builders.

But yeah, any old tech auto transmission is anything but sporty, and that nasty Audi box that came in the 944/924S's is no exception. Although I've never actually experienced it first hand, I can imagine... They didn't call them slushboxes for nothing.
1987 silver 924S 210k mi! - Rebuilt motor survived 60K so far. Bottom end balanced, Custom mild ported head, Port matched intake, LR 944MAX chip, Thush Welded muffler, Bilstein shocks, MSD Blaster 2 coil, ect ect...Needs 8 more valves!
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 24V DOHC- New toy/backup plan...Borla cat back, Injen intake. Needs headers and a real set of cams.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Awesome feedback.

Great feedback once again. This forum is great! Thanks, guys. Makes me feel better about not purchasing. Yeah, I just need to be patient. I think that car would've been OK but ... between shipment costs and the timing belt, maybe best somebody else got it. I DO think somebody got a good deal if they were in the NY/NJ area. I did ask the guy about the timing belt and he said he'd been a mechanic, service manager, and dealer owner AND that he'd competed at top levels of international motorspots but ... I guess this just wasn't the one. Will keep looking and hoping.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Buck16,

Porsche in Houston?
I know EBay has good inventory, but you might try www.autotrader.com.
www.cars.com or www.craigslist.com. Set the distance for 500 miles.

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Other sites and more questions ...

Yep. I've been checking those sites. Not the cars.com one though. Will take a look at it. Doh, nothing now.

Found a 944s which sounds interesting about 300 miles away. Sunroof gears on one side might be worn or something; guy says it opens but not even on one side. Only other he issue he said exists was the visor clamp and mirror on the passenger side. Car is the right color and looks real good (in pics). He wants $5500 or so.

Were all 944s manual? Or no? His is. I'm concerned maintenance on the manual will be quite a bit more. What about Turbos?

Btw, apparently the ebay bidder that one the auction I originally posted is a deadbeat. Said his 5-year old daughter bid on it. So the guy is asking what I'd be interested in paying.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
All 944S models were manual. Maintenance between the manual and the automatic isnt too different. The flex plate dampener on the automatics is a bear to change, just like the clutch on the n/a's. The problem with the flexplate is they are ungodly expensive new from Porsche and your better off finding a used one if you can. The clutch parts for a manual are not horribly expensive, but its an equal amount of work to change either. The flexplate is not something that goes often or frequently, but they do go bad and you have to keep that in consideration.

Clutch job on the turbo is a little more intensive with the crossover pipe and will take even longer on an '86 model with a 1-pc crossover. However take note that most '86 models have been updated to the 2-pc crossover (but not all!). Too put things into perspective, for someone experienced a n/a clutch will be in the area of 8-9hrs. A turbo probably closer to the 12hr mark and a turbo with the 1pc crossover i wold probably tack on another 1-2 hours (requires removal of intake manifold).

Maintenance on the 16v S engine isnt much more either than the 8v, you have one more thing to keep on top of with the cam chain tensioner. The pads need replacing around the 100k mark i believe (may want to look that one up).

Maintenance on the turbo..its hard to put it into perspective. Honestly having owned both i dont think the turbo is much worse to work on than an n/a. There are more potential things to go wrong..but nothing in my opinion that is hard to remedy or that would keep me from owning one. Like any old car, if you buy one that was not taken care of, you are going to pay alot (especially if not doing your own work) to keep the car running. Im not saying a turbo will put you into a poor house, im just saying its critical to find a well taken care for car upfront to save yourself alot of headache and money in the long term.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hmm

Now I'm torn between 944 and 944S. Have beads on a couple decent cars. 944s has some slight issues (mentioned above). 944 has none. About a $1500 difference.

Wouldn't mind the performance of the S. But the non-S may be the better car. Sigh ...
Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
sunroof is no big deal... people fear it but check out clark's garage for a how to on fix0ring it... also read this:

sunroof fun 'n' games

then after you're done, back off the slip clutch until it slips trying to pop up the sunroof... then tighten it back up again until it works again, then just a hair more. That way you won't strip the gears. Adjust the slip clutch BEFORE you attempt to retract the arms to remove the sunroof. If you don't have everything "just so" and the slip clutch is too tight, it'll strip whichever gear is running the rack that bottoms out first. (trust me, this'll all make sense once you have it apart.)

good luck

nate
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Cool

I have a nice '89 NA with only 52k on it if your interested, however I'm in Arizona.

Roger B.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

The sun roof is a pain but the parts (plastic gears) are cheap and its just more of just a PITA to fix. The visor clamp is a few $'s and 2 screws. Are you sure about a 944? if these issues are putting you off you might be setting yourself up with very high expectations. If you arent prepared to do some of the work yourself you might find paying for repairs will get old very fast.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck16 View Post
Were all 944s manual? Or no? His is. I'm concerned maintenance on the manual will be quite a bit more.
Buck,
No matter what car you purchase, expect to spend $2000 to $4000 once it is in your garage. If you buy a car on EBay and cannot "kick the tires" or smell the upholstery you will forever pay for your "mistake".
Buy local or at least look at a members car in the forum:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i loved the auto in the '84na and love it in the current dd, '95mb sl320.

grabbing gears/going fast/hard acceleration is fun but if you live on/need to deal with going up a hill in stop-n-go traffic, you'll kill a clutch.

i'll have had the 951 for 4 years in feb, it's great to drive and i get a lot of compliments and i've had no problems.

"may the force be with you"
Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Well, gulp, I did end up buying the eBay car. Got it for far less than the deadbeat "winner' bid. I've talked to the seller quite a few times and he comes across as pretty knowledgeable and trustworthy. I can only hope for the best now. Excited. Don't feel like I didn't take your advice against sight unseen cars off eBay. You guys have been great and I'm sure I'll frequent the forums quite frequently now.

I almost bought a 944S but it was gonna be $1500+ more and the timing belt went on the guy. He said he replaced all the valves and did some other stuff ... but my concern was the belt breaking may have done more than just valve damage. Of course, I'm a newb so ...

Here's to a great 2009 and hoping I made the right decision.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: