Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to firefighter7128
Armrest Hinge!!

Well i bought one off ebay brand new, installed it and stepped back and smiled as i stared at my accomplishment, striking one more task off my list. I then thought, hey lets go for a ride. I went to the gas station and as i was getting out of the car, i placed my hand on the arm pad and........... walla! back on the list.
Has anyone invented a solution to the cheap replacements?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looking at the console and the limited space it affords, I resorted to using a block of stiff foam that sits inside the lid, but extends to inside the base to keep it from wandering. This allows me to use it as an armrest, and I can also put receipts and other flat stuff underneath.

Now on to fabbing some glovebox door swing limiters.
'99 996 Arctic silver over black. In the past I've owned and wrenched on a '96 Audi A4, '86 944 NA. '79 928, '72 914. Non-Teutonic vehicles of interest: 3 MGB's (one converted to V8 power), Triumph Stag & TR250, Jensen-Healey, T-Bird SC. Most recent "project" was a Factory Five MKII Roadster.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ScoobySteve
I thought I had remembered seeing somewhere a kit which replaced the cassette area + lid with a shallow area with grippy rubber -- a great place to put a cellphone or ipod. Now I can't remember where I saw it. It was nice in that it looked like it was made of the oem console plastic so it matched perfectly.

Anyone now what I'm talking about? (My hinge is fine, but the vinyl has "pulled" out of it exposing the foam)
03 Subaru WRX ~280HP
09 BMW 335i 6MT
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
just take it apart and glue it back together...

as for the "grippy stuff" a silicone baking "sheet" works great. I cut one up to make little cubby liners for my F*rd pickup. The top of the dash has these little recesses in them that look like a great place to set smokes, cell phone, etc. but the dash is this super rigid painted plastic, so the first time you go around a corner they slide around and slam into the passenger door, fall on the floor, roll under the seat etc. The silicone sheet works great, at least for F*rd pickup cornering forces. Cost about $20 and some scrap cardboard to make, but eases the frustration a little bit (now if I could find a cupholder so I could take my coffee with me...)

nate
Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The PO simply screwed a strip of nylon webbing in place of the hinge. Has proven durable and works fine, and since it is black really isn't obvious at all.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz's Master View Post
The PO simply screwed a strip of nylon webbing in place of the hinge. Has proven durable and works fine, and since it is black really isn't obvious at all.
I like that idea. I will have to remember it next time I need a new hinge. (it's not a matter of "if" but "when."

nate
Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Last repair shop to touch my car broke the lid completely off; threw it in the back seat, then said it was already broken when they got in the car. I went to the local hardware store and bought a 1 foot piece of piano hinge. I took the tray out of the car and used the existing mounting hole to position the hinge, cut it to length and install it to the lid and tray. After making sure the latch worked properly, I used a two part epoxy on the hinge along with the screws to secure the lid. It's now more solid than original and it doesn't shift when you have your elbow on it. Cost about $6 and an hour to do.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
^^^Thats what I was going to suggest.

Steveu812 I am working on a set of those and will get some pics up soon. Most difficult part is cutting them out.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to firefighter7128
Good suggestions. I dont keep anything in their anyway. I like having the pad there so i considered super gluing the top to the tray. It slides off on to the pass seat EVERY time i make a turn and it's really getting annoying.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A genuine Porsche part is available on Ebay from "a2eurotec" for $39 approx. I assume that a genuine part would last for a few years at least. I must admit tho that mine has the piano hinge fix.

Currently driving 2005 Audi A4
Currently driving 1998 Grand Cherokee sometimes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Comeau Racing

I have some early cassette consoles for sale. But a better suggestion would be to NOT use that as an armrest. It's not an armrest. Your hands belong on the wheel or the shift knob. You'd have to be cruising with some kind of "gangster lean" to even get your right elbow on the cassette console. Now sit up straight and drive. And don't forget to eat your veggies.
Comeau Racing Enterprises, Inc. www.comeauracing.com
We do only 924S, 944's, 968's all day, every day.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/POR_944M_INTtrm_pg2.htm#item6

Why get screwed on ebay? Pelican has them cheaper.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche4life View Post
Yep, I bought the exact same one here about 2 years ago and it's still as good as new. I have to mention that the lid is VERY hard to open, I have to press with both thumbs on the knob for it to budge. So I never ever use it and just leave it closed. It doesn't have any play and works excellent as an arm rest.

1994 BMW 325is M-Technic
1986 Porsche 944 N/A
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I have gone through at least 4 new ones since I bought our 83. For some reason I cannot get out of the habbit of pushing against it when I get out of the car. It has gotten worse over the years as the car seems to get smaller every year, or I am getting bigger. I finally just took black weatherstrip adhesive and glued it on. I don't keep anything in it anyway. It is now "one with the console".

Steve
01 ML55
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I got an OEM one from ebay
cheaper than anywhere else, dealer parts dept said they had to order, so I ebay'd
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Did you check pelican last I checked the cheapest on eBay was about 10 bucks more than pelican
Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

It appears that the cheaper Pelican one (for later model cars anyway) is a reproduction part not a Porsche part

Currently driving 2005 Audi A4
Currently driving 1998 Grand Cherokee sometimes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufenbahn View Post
It appears that the cheaper Pelican one (for later model cars anyway) is a reproduction part not a Porsche part
I was always under the impression that the hinge-only was never an official OEM part and that Porsche only sold the complete hinge WITH arm rest for mucho $$$.

1994 BMW 325is M-Technic
1986 Porsche 944 N/A
Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mduquette
I used black Duct tape. Took the hinge off and carefully applied a strip to each side. Help up fine for over 2 years before I totaled the 944.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: