Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Traqnny Removal Help

Ok, I am stuck. Everything is disconnected, but I can not get the coupler in the bellhousing to slide. Both bolts are loose in those two square bracket. I have tried to pry against it in both directions to no avail. What am I missing?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
There are notches in the driveline where the coupler bolts fit. You have to take the bolts all the way out to move the coupler.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you also need to jack and level for straight off removeal. I usually need to shack and pry alot.
Also shift coupler,Cv's and backup light contact disconnected.. right..
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Both bolts are all the way out. The tranny jacked level and seperated about 1". I pryed so hard on the coupler the square part on the tranny side broke off the shaft. I have PB Blasted and just can't get the coupler to budge.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is the Gear in neutral?
It can get loaded which makes it more difficult remove.

Is the shifter linkage all the way pushed forward and rotated 180 toward bottom of engine, in the shifter boot.

Look back though http://www.clarks-garage.com/ trans03, removal procedures.

Did you remove the Fuel Filter Bracket from top?
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Yeah, my guess would be that somehow, there's some lateral strain on the driveline - the transaxle isn't perfectly level compared to the torque tube, or something. If the bolts are out, it should slide easily on the splines.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Got it. Called a pro Porsche mechanic for guidance. Rebolted the bell housing and tranny mount. Used screw driver from TT side through small hole and it puched right out.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Coast Cab View Post
Got it. Called a pro Porsche mechanic for guidance. Rebolted the bell housing and tranny mount. Used screw driver from TT side through small hole and it puched right out.
Damn, I wish I knew that! That thing was really the only positively miserable part of the job.
1987 silver 924S 210k mi! - Rebuilt motor survived 60K so far. Bottom end balanced, Custom mild ported head, Port matched intake, LR 944MAX chip, Thush Welded muffler, Bilstein shocks, MSD Blaster 2 coil, ect ect...Needs 8 more valves!
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 24V DOHC- New toy/backup plan...Borla cat back, Injen intake. Needs headers and a real set of cams.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Send a message via Skype™ to SolReaver
mee too

THAT would have been nice to know. I broke my coupler and it delayed the job for over a week. Why the hec can't this stuff be added to Clarks or something? This little tidbit could have saved me Hours under the car and days waiting for Mr. Postman.
There may be nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Porsche: Ruby Red 84 928S : White 87 924s 2.5L NA (Blinky) M44/07-43H10676 spoiler delete - 046/2B - Belts 9/12, Clutch and OC seals 8/08 andd Red 94 Del Sol: Please put your Make, Model and Year in Sig. Try not to break more than you fix.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: