Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying a project 944 , one that has sat for years? help

Looking for some advice on how to best approach potentially purchasing 944 's that have been not used for 4 or so years. If a vehicle had been running but for various circumstances sits in a warehouse or barn for several years (owner death etc), what are the most likely things to have gone wrong with it from time itself? In other words, what at a minimum would likely need to be replaced before trying to start the car and assess it fully?

I imagine one would change the spark plugs, plug wiring, drain full tank, check oil and trans fluid etc
Anyone have any advice or references to this? Surely I'm not the only one to come across such things.

Also, other than the LT1 and LS1 engines, are there other, cheaper engines (non Porsche) that one can easily put into a 944 if such an engine on a stranded 944 was no good?

thanks!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

add timing belt and battery to your list, possibly water pump.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Change all fluids and don't crank it right off the bat. I'd pull the plugs and get some oil in the cylinders and also hand crank the car to get your changed oil moving... then put the plugs in it and fire for effect.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks

Will keep all this in mind

thanks! If anyone else has any thoughts or advice please add
Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
My 944 scares adults

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lovemy924S
expect to replace both the fuel pump and filter. As time the gas becomes rancid, and will eat away at the mechanisms and gum up the fuel pump and fuel filter, often destroying both. Once you're ready to try to drive it, make sure you give the brakes and clutch a VERY good bleeding, and make sure the transmission has good fluid in it, because it would royally suck to shove it into gear when there was no fluid and toast your transmission.

Also, if the car has been under cover, look for squirrel/mice nests in the engine bay, especially in the air filter housing, and if there are such nests check wiring in the engine bay, don't want to short something out!!! If the car has been exposed to the elements you might want to play with it with a jack...what i mean is tip it different directions (carefully!!!) with a jack and stands to allow ALL water to drain out of areas it might collect if drains were blocked with leaves etc.

That's all i can think of for now!
Ethan
Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hmm

I guess it would be wise also to run some gas line cleaner in as well before trying to start it, since even if the tank is cleaned up and the fuel pump/filter changed, likely gunk along the walls of the system will exist.

any suggestions on good cleaner to use for this purpose? any other advice? thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My 944 was sitting for a couple years when I got it - expect dead fuel pump and pretty much all the rubber hoses from the tank to the pipe and then to the metal fuel lines.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Since you are local PM me and we can get together I can tell you all about working on a car that has sat for years. Be ready to put a lot of money into it.

Mike
Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

^^^^^+++++++$$$$$ about $4000 in parts alone if you need shocks and tires that are dry rotted. Replace all chassis rubber and power steering rack. NO make that $6000 if you need a new engine. Member many944s has a shop http://www.benms.com/ and will rebuild your engine for $2800+- OR George at www.944ecology.com will rebuild your engine for $1500 and parts required. Prices subject to change.

These "barn finds" seem to be very frequent now. Look at Pelican Cars for Sale and take advantage of a car that had thousands of dollars of work done and needs a new home. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yes John is right on I am at 3000 in parts and Labor so far. And Mine was drivable when I bought it, although it had sat for 2 years in Ohio weather.

Many944s did the belts for me, figure all rubber to be dryrotted or soft, figure about half the bolts will break when you go to get them out, even using a lot of PBblaster.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Was there a reason that you wanted to get a car that has sat for so long? You would be much better off if you find a $4-5k car that is running well and has had all the work completed on it... The hedache and amount of money for a car that has sat is not worth it. Unless you want to rebuild everything and have a very reliable and long-lasting car to drive for a still decent amount of money...

1984 944 -Race car project
1993 968 coupe- Amazon Green
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I did not see remove the fuel injectors and have them cleaned on the lists above.

I would remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder. Then rock the crank back and forth a few degrees, before trying to rotate it with the starter. The rings can stick to the cylinder walls and break. Change the oil and filter, do not merely check it.

Hope you are getting it real cheap!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
^^^^^+++++++$$$$$ about $4000 in parts alone if you need shocks and tires that are dry rotted. Replace all chassis rubber and power steering rack. NO make that $6000 if you need a new engine. Member many944s has a shop http://www.benms.com/ and will rebuild your engine for $2800+- OR George at www.944ecology.com will rebuild your engine for $1500 and parts required. Prices subject to change.

These "barn finds" seem to be very frequent now. Look at Pelican Cars for Sale and take advantage of a car that had thousands of dollars of work done and needs a new home. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?f=240

GL
John_AZ
Seconded big time on the tires - mine are cracked to no end.

Why would you need a new engine? My car fired right up once I replaced the fuel system and redid timing/water pump/head gastket
Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Probably the first thing I'd recommend is to stop posting a bajillion WTB ads in the cars for sale forum for every model of car possible.
1983 Audi Ur-Quattro (20vt swap in progress)
2010 VW Touareg TDI (DD, tow rig)
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

In addition to what has been said:

My track car project sat for around 2 years before I bought it I believe. It had about 3 gallons of fuel in it that was raunchy. I mean, I wouldn't put this stuff in my lawn mowers. It was visibly discolored (very yellow). And what a smell when I drained it. I don't know the proper way to wash out a tank but that's on the list to do before I put new fuel in it too: what ruin a new fuel filter if the tank is full of crap still..

The plug wires had dry rotted. OEM style plug wires for these cars are about $100 a set last time I looked (I could be off on that number though.. hmm).

Hood struts and the rear hatch strut had no charge in them.. The hood struts are about $30 to replace.. Not a priority item IMO as a broomstick works great..

The way the interior switches are made for these vehicles; door light switches, window switches; they can corrode if in a damp environment and cease to function. Mine needed disassembly and cleaning.

Rubber centered clutches are junk. I know this firsthand.

Rubber trim items can rot, like sunroof seal and door seals.

The items can really add up but if the car comes cheap enough and has
- good carpets/interior
- good paint
- good wheels
- no large engine problems (bearings OK, cylinders walls OK, no bent valves)

then they can be fun projects and easy to get a nice running car for a good price if you do all the labor yourself. But if the car costs you $1000, be prepared to spend $2000 in getting it back on the road.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: