Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post storage startup

It finally looks like the snow is gone here in the Seattle area (for now) and looking forward to driving the 944 as soon as things dry out a little further. The car has sat for the past 2 months with a few storage preparations. My concern was the belts. They have about 500 miles on them.

Is their any issue with starting the car? Will they take a set in that amount of time? I think I'm being paranoid, but don't want bent valves. I'm thinking only issues with longer storage or older belts. Just want to make sure. Thanks

Dave
Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

2 months is nothing, I store my car each winter for about 5 months. I put in the battery, start it then drive 250Km home from my parents place.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A couple of months isn't anything. You might end up with flat spots on the tires, but that'll likely go away after a few miles.

The only thing I'd do is check all the fluids, crank if you can with the ignition disabled until the oil pressure comes up (I remove the coil wire on my other cars..., not sure if that's ok on your car...), re-enable the ignition, then start her up.

That being said, I wouldn't go much longer than a couple of months without some storage prep (sta-bil or draining fuel system, removing battery, etc...). You have to be really careful now with the ethanol fuels. The ethanol causes moisture separation in the fuel and fuel tank that can wreak havoc on fuel systems. Things get rusty, corroded and full of water. Not happy times for our cars (or boats or RV's or lawn mowers or...). There is lots of information out there on the internet. Just google "ethanol fuel problems" and you'll find lots of writeups.

Last edited by emoore924; 12-29-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys, some great info. l'll inspect things, check fluid as suggested, crank for oil pressure and start her up.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: