Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
spark and fuel check for no start

I was reading through Clarks garage on how to check for spark and fuel, but in order to so, you need a fuel pressure guage and a spark tester. I dont have either, but is there a was to still check for spark or fuel without these 2 items? I have checked the alternater, battery, DME, ignition switch, starter, and I replaced the spark plugs in the summer.

85.5 944 red- Pinta (past)
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
For spark, remove the main ignition coil wire, stick a screw driver in it (one with plastic handle of course) and hold the metal screwdriver shaft close to the cam tower or anything metal on the car. Have someone crank the car, you should have a spark arc across the shaft of the screwdriver and whatever is metal on the car. If you have spark here, remove each ignition wire at the spark plug end and repeat the same test. This will rule out the cap and rotor. Use common sense when doing this. Rubber gloves are not a bad idea and dont stand on a wet surface either.

To test fuel pressure, really the only way to know you have it is too remove the nut on the end of the fuel rail and see if the rail redepressurizes. That does not tell you if you have the correct fuel pressure, but it tells you are getting fuel pressure.

Too see if the injectors are firing, either get a noid light (they about $15) or pull the fuel rail off the car and put the ends of the injectors into empty water bottles and crank the car.

Check around because Autozone (if you have one around you) rents out both noid lights and fuel pressure gauges.

Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1

Last edited by Techno Duck; 02-01-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: