Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944S Lifter Tapping

What would cause the lifters on my 944S to start tapping on start up? I've heard they will do this if sitting for a while, but I drive it almost every day, so I would not expect this to be the case. Could it be the wrong viscosity oil? I'm using Mobil 1 10W-30. Once warmed up it goes away and does not come back until the next start up if I let it sit until cold. Oil level is correct and pressure is fine on start and once warmed up. Any ideas?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi,

I am running my S on 15W50
I had the same thing append to me last summer.
I did an oil/filter change and now I am filling up with 94 octane gas, seemed to fixed it .
04 Silver A4 Avant- 13 A3 S-Line
87 Black 944S -Gone
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Fuel octane doesn't have anything to do with it...Could be a lot of things including things just wearing out.

I'd change the oil to whatever the factory spec is for your area/weather (both viscosity and SFI rating), change to a factory filter, make *sure* the oil is all the way full, then see if it continues...
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply guys. We're thinking along the same lines. First thing I did was check the oil level and topped it off. I was about a pint low. No change.

I think I'll change the oil and filter as they are about due anyway, and see if that cures it. If memory serves me right, I ran 15W50 all last year with no issues, so that may do the trick.

As far as wearing out I guess that is always a possibility. Its got ~123K on the original head. But . . . I've been using Mobil 1 with 3-4K since about 65K, and the prior owners did similar according the the records, so I thinking it should go a bit further before its worn out. And yes, cam chain tensioner has been changed
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

If you wanted to do additional cleaning, you might try Seafoam for a very short time before you change the oil and filter. Many swear the lifter noise is gone. Follow instructions on can.

GL
John_AZ
Old 02-13-2009, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Have you used the stuff?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
If you wanted to do additional cleaning, you might try Seafoam for a very short time before you change the oil and filter. Many swear the lifter noise is gone. Follow instructions on can. John_AZ
MarcM "Have you used the stuff?"

John_AZ, "No"

I would use it if I thought it would help a sticky lifter. Again, many have:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?searchid=3225728&pp=25

and of course the Sea Foam web page:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

John_AZ
Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Seafoam rocks. However, it will not compensate for mechanical wear. Do not leave SeaFoam in your oil, it will break down the valve seals and head gasket material.

In other words, SeaFoam is great for an engine flush, though I prefer Gunk's Motor Flush. I use SeaFoam in fuel systems and diesels.

After flushing our 944, lifter noise went away. Sludge is a really bad enemy...one clogged oil passage equals one crank bearing!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

The other old-school technique is to run one quart of ATF in your oil for a few minutes of running time, then drain all the oil out and replace with normal oil. Have done this personally and fixed tapping top ends on several 944 cars over the years. Various products out today as mentioned above may work better, I don't know.

YMMV, do at your own risk etc, as I know there will be naysayers...
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I've used ATF to quiet hydraulic lifters in the past. It is very detergent. And YES, YMMV, and only use immediately before an oil change.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

One additional link on lifters from many944s:
http://www.benms.com/944lifter.html

John_AZ
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Updating the link. Good info there.

Bennington Motorsports
Old 09-01-2013, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Change back to a non-synthetic oil, if the noise doesn't stop check the oil check valve located in the head.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Have dealt with lifter problems and noise since I bought the car. Have been using 20w50 BP semi-synthetic.

Currently running VW lightweight hydraulic lifters, and just changed to 10w40 amsoil synthetic, and my top end has NEVER been this quiet, amazing stuff.

I'm convinced that the 16v motors benefit from a slightly lighter oil that is going to offer better flow to all 16 lifters vs the 8v.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: