Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Help: dash lights warning lights...

I recently started to put my 90 944 s2 back on the road.
a few things happened and i am lost.
i tried to wire a radio in and the harness was already hacked up so i cut it out but when i did the check engine light ! seat belt light and air bag light went on. so i put it all back to how it was( ithink) but the lights stayed on.
anybody know how i can get them back off?????

also the shaft on my power steering pump popped out partially and the power steering stopped working. i can push it back in and it will work temporarily but pops back out. is there a piece missing? do i have to replace the whole thing? or are there rebuild kits?

Last edited by 944s21; 03-01-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
rattlesnakeracing

Radio Wiring

I don't know if the fault is being retained, if so, disconnect your battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it and see if they go away.

These are the common lights that come on when power is applied, then go off. I think you have cut the feedback wire, most likely a ground wire that makes the lights shut off.

You can look in the PET wiring diagrams to find out exactly what the color of the wire is you cut. Example {Black/Green; Brown} at http://www.the944.com/ go all the way to the bottom on the left hand side. The PET version you want is #6.

I've looked in the Haynes manual and could not find a reference.
USAF (Ret) GO Blue! - - RattlesnakeRacing - Don't Tread on Me!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
rattlesnakeracing

Porsche Crest Radio Wiring

Need to point you in a different direction. Look at Vol4x-electrical page #240 and it shows the schematic. It looks like you have cut a brown wire which is the connection point passenger side ground to the Airbag Control Unit.

If this is the wire you cut, you probably don't have airbag support.

Need to disconnect the battery before messing with the wiring because it is easy to ground a line on unknown wiring and pop the airbags. Also the big Yellow/Black wires go to the bags and if you happen to cut one of those, it will pop a bag.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you will have to take the car to the dealer to reset the SRS (air bag ) light . my cost 80 dollars your going to pay more ? around 125 dollars .
Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
If your 90 S2 is like mine you can reset the airbag following Clarks garage instructions. http://www.clarks-garage.com/

Also look at this thread, I posted a few pics...
S2 Airbag question
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
i have disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while and the lights are still on.

i went to the PET6 and it didnt go into the wiring. there are pages missing...

i will try and do the airbag reset but not sure if this will help cause its not just the air bag light that is stuck on. the reason the three lights are on must be linked. i assume since they went on at the time when i cut the radio harness

anybody know about the power steering pump?

thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Will program for food

Garage
I too had all 3 lights on. If your airbag hardware is good, resetting will turn out all three lights. It may take a few tries. Clarks has information on fault codes, if something is wrong.
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
ok cool. the only problem is i cant find the molex.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
thank u so much. i found it and it worked.

now if i can just get the power steering issue taken care of

thanks again
Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
rattlesnakeracing

Thumbs up Power Steering

Great job on the light problem. The reason that all lights were on is because of the airbag control unit. An individual fault would light a single light, but the ground being cut (if that was the case) causes a fault on the unit itself thereby lighting all of the lights.

For the power steering pump: http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/807614805 gives a parts breakdown of your pump. Take a look at that and see if you can get a part number. The part number will help others users know exactly what you are referencing.

Also, you may want to repost this as a power steering problem or bump it up to the top of the list. Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: