Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Well she bit the dust

My beloved 87 got raped in my apartment complex parking lot by an unknown SOB. Insurance totaled her. shes getting towed away tomorrow. really sad, i consider her my first car. USAA placed a value of 2685.51 on her.

Then today my girlfriend leaves to get her nails done in her 88 944, calls me about an hour ago and tells me she hit somebody and it wiped her car out.

Im getting out of this ****hole side of houston. Heres some sad pictures, Josh

Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

damn, that really sucks. The world seems to be full of inconsiderate bastards who have no regard for other people's property. Probably an inattentive SUV driver given the height of the damage.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I know that Excellence mag is high on their figures, but you might want to show them their recommended sale prices. The 1983 944 was up to nearly $5k in so so condition. I'd imagine yours would be higher. The last time I had to settle with an insurance co. on a totaled vehicle, I shopped around and produced prices of sold vehicles that would have been comparable replacements. I got significantly more than what they lowballed me. Don't sign anything until you work them a bit. I waited a month and a half, and it was worth it.

Sorry to hear about both.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i have no transportation anymore so ive got to end this quick, im looking all over texas for somthing else to drive for around 4500 bucks, Josh
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
+1 on not settling for their first offer.

My kid's 951 got hit last spring and the initial offer from the ins co was $6K. We fought back and forth for several months and eventually got around $9K from them.

A full account of our battle with Safeco: http://www.mikepellegrini.com/weblog/2008/08/safeco_insurance_sucks.php

Insurance companies are the lowest of the low. I scrape better s*** off my shoes...

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Man that sucks, my car was hit in storage as well... so I know what your going through. I kinda regret fixing mine because it would have been cheaper to buy a whole new car. Check it out I have it fully picture documented.

NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY! when you think you have it bad, Least your car isnt wrecked

Sorry about the bad news
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

is the damage really that bad? I mean sure from pure $$ to fix it up perspective, it's totaled...but the damage doesn't look that severe.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It wont shift anymore. i can force it into first and drive around fine. The hatch will not open. I dont have a garage so i cant fix it. Josh
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Wow, that is terrible.

It is amazing that the hatch glass did not shatter with a hit like that.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944

Last edited by UconnTim97; 03-08-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnTim97 View Post
Wow, that is terrible.

It is amazing that the hatch glass did not shatter with a hit like that.
Yes that really is too bad, it looks like a very nice car. I would fight the insurance company to get more $.

As for the hatch, My car was rearended, the hatch floor buckeled up and the glass didnt break.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

looked so clean...

love the flat black phonies too..
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I would fight it. I know you can get more money...but I also know you don't have a car.

Good luck, it definitely sucks.
'85 34' ITASCA MotorHome, built-in blender baby!
'89 Supra - Black - Future 400hp NA sleeper.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Custom User Title

Garage
If it won't shift, it's likely just a problem with the linkage needing to be adjusted. I would guess you could have it shifting in 5 minutes or less.

The big question is how/why the linkage was knocked out of adjustment.

The way it was hit, it doesn't look like there would be any frame damage, although I s'pose it's possible - especially if the transaxle was moved forward. You'd have to put it on an alignment rack and measure the distances.

If it was me, I'd fix the linkage and continue to drive it. You can get a rear clip to weld in at some later date - and then have the section re-painted.

If the insurance co insisted on totaling it, I'd buy it back for salvage and fix it (for $300 or whatever). But no way would I let it go to the wrecking yard. It's way too fine a car for that!

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
If the damage in the rear goes past the bumpers its not an easy fix, the car will never be the same without significant cutting and replacing. I think that figure is fairly low they are giving you for it. Granted, I don't know what prices are in your area. When my car was rear ended it was totaled, I got $4,500 for it. unknown miles somewhere in the range of 215,000. The insurance company of the truck that hit me, lookedd up what 944's where selling in my area, and gave enough to find another.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

sounds like potential for someone in san antonio to do a quick hour transaxle fix....anyone? heh
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I can't believe the hatch glass didn't break.

Lindsey racing sells fiberglass rear panels that replace that whole area. Take the insurance money, cut out the rear end, fiberglass it, and turn it into a track car! or just a spirited driver..
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Check with the insurance company to see how long they will put you in a rental. Suggest to them that it will probably take awhile to find a suitable replacement. Once you start talking about that scenario, they might get the hint that you won't take what their offer is, which you shouldn't. Read your policy, and use the terms to your advantage.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

stupid people around nowadays. im really sorry this had to happen to you; specially to a super clean car !! we gotta find these people so they can properly be dealt with

and as for insurance, argue with them and get more out of that total loss, i know your looking for another car ASAP but try to......

and btw whats the color on those wheels?? is it really flat black?? sorry to ask that question

1986 Porsche 944

luxury4play,caranddriver, pelicanparts,944online,reutterwerk,rennlist,renntu be,jpopsuki
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

yea they are flat black. Car is gone, i tried to give it to a friend but insurance had already picked it up. I needed something to drive so i had to take what i got. Sad to see another nice one get ruint by a ****ing moron. Josh
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Architect / Car Guy

Send a message via AIM to carlege
you took the 2600 for the car? please tell me you got more

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: