Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Timing Belt Idler

HI everyone this is my first post here on the forums. I have a very early 83 Porsche 944, i just replaced the balance belt and timing belt along with the timing belt idler pulley. My question is, after one day of driving i can see groves worn into the plastic timing belt idler from the timing belt. I am afraid this will wear down my timing belt prematurely. The idler spins freely and its the updated idler pulley. Any suggestions as to why this is happening and if its normal.
Thanks
Jon

Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's normal for there to be a visible change on the idler where the belt contacts (mine looks about the same as the one in your picture), but there shouldn't be actual grooves or significant wear in anything, especially after only one day. Is the timing belt tensioned correctly? The process I use involves setting the tension at about 1.5 teeth (on the cam gear) before TDC. More info on that is here: http://www.arnnworx.com/krikit1.htm I've done this on my car and a number of other race cars without any problems... the balance belts actually give me more trouble (timing that lower shaft can be tricky the first few times, and they'll whine if they're even slightly too tight).
#22 RaceRender.com Porsche 944
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Jon,

In addition, I cannot tell completely, but I think your balance belt is too close to the WP pully. The BB tension pully should be tightened clockwise and this will place the belt below the WP pully. Check both belts.

Here is a great picture from TechnoDuck to show what I mean:

GL
John_AZ
Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

technoduck has all of our answers !!

btw, dumb question, but is there a diff between the setups from an early to late models?? that diagram shows an 87, but he has an 83. i know the two models have subtle differences but just checking

1986 Porsche 944

luxury4play,caranddriver, pelicanparts,944online,reutterwerk,rennlist,renntu be,jpopsuki
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

KEm,

This is a pic from Clarks-'83-'86 belts:

John_AZ
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Is the timing belt for the 8V engine or did you fit the belt for the 16V which is wider. From the picture it looks that way. If so some of the rollers will not be right and the belt will fail prematurelly.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi everyone, thanks for all the reply's. The belt is the correct one the picture makes it look like the edge of the belt is on the outer part of the idler, in reality the edge of the belt meets the idler where you see the white marks on it, also the balance belt is further down from the water pump the picture makes it look closer.

I have another question, when I got the car it had the metal spacer above the water pump pulley and the updated idler pulley as you see in the picture but the water pump does not have the outlet that you find on the updated version which leads me to believe i have a rebuilt old style water pump on my car. If that is the case should I be running the smaller idler roller. Is there a difference in the old and new style water pump pulleys as far as size goes.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

That is definitely bigger than mine. It's a larger diameter and wider. Mine doesn't come close to touching the belt. Maybe they updated it? I think there is a good possibility that mine is original, but why would I change it if the belt never touches it? If I didn't pay attention to the belts it might serve a purpose, but I do, so it doesn't.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTremendous View Post
I have another question, when I got the car it had the metal spacer above the water pump pulley and the updated idler pulley as you see in the picture but the water pump does not have the outlet that you find on the updated version which leads me to believe i have a rebuilt old style water pump on my car. If that is the case should I be running the smaller idler roller. Is there a difference in the old and new style water pump pulleys as far as size goes.
Per www.Clarks-Garage.com water pump:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/cool-07.pdf

New WP use 46.2mm pully
Old WP uses 32mm pully

Some of the new turbo updated pumps do not have the "block off" plate and only have a flat surface where it would be. Pump is still the new style.

John_AZ
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

my mistake john, that first picture looks better, as a cheat sheet should lol. thank you

1986 Porsche 944

luxury4play,caranddriver, pelicanparts,944online,reutterwerk,rennlist,renntu be,jpopsuki
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
You have the updated water pump on the car. It has the doglegged belt guard.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: