Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mysterious Brake Squeal

When I hit the brakes on my 944 I sometimes get a squeal that sounds like it's coming from the rear. I figured I needed new rear pads so I ordered a set and started the job. Once I took the rear wheels off I discovered that the brake pads had plenty of material left (looked to be roughly 3/4 compared to a new pad).

At this point I figure that I must have heard wrong and it was the front brakes. So I take a quick look at those and at least the outer pads have plenty of material (hard to say precisely since the wheels are still on, but definitely more than 1/2.

I know in a floating caliper system brake wear can be uneven between the inner and outter pads, but I would think that it wouldn't be so uneven that the inners would need to be replaced when the outers still have more than 1/2 the material.

Any idea what the cause could be? Is this something I should worry about or can I just ignore it?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

brake squeal is not always due to worn pads. it could be the rotor is worn or there is glaze on the pad or rotor. try driving about fifty feet with the brakes applied to a small degree, just enough to give tension and see if it alleviates the problem.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Architect / Car Guy

Send a message via AIM to carlege
if you have the foot for it... when riding down the road and you hear the squeal try varying degrees of pedal pressure and see if the squeal changes tone or stops all together.

I had a similar squeal on my xterra and i finally after taking it to numerous people i said screw it and put some pads on myself... and the squeel stopped. the Old pads had life left but they were also cracked.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The pads don't have to be worn to squeal,even new pads could squeal if they're cheap enough,depends from what compound they're made of.My old pads were like new,plenty of meat on them but squeald like crazy,i couldn't stand it so i replaced them with some new Metal Master's from Paragon and the squelling stoped.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: