Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Official Sponsor

exhaust manifold stud removal

Hi guys,
Hey Clark's describes the stud removal method where a second nut is used to back the stud out of the head...is it possible to get the manifold off then remove the studs once the head is off? sounds like a PITA to do under the hood and I am swapping heads anyway...
or must the studs come out to have enough clearance to get the manifold off?
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

PITA=confirmed

if i remember correctly the stock tower obstructs the #3 studs....was it #2. i just replaced with bolts
Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Its very difficult to get the manifold off with the studs still in the head, this is because there is not much room to pull the manifold out towards the frame rail to clear the studs. Its really not that hard to do, i wont go as far to say there is plenty of clearance, but there is enough to get them out using the double nut method.

If your swapping heads anyway, what i would do is remove the cylinder head and exhaust manifold as all one piece. This is the easiest method i have found having done this a few times. The downside is that the assembly is HEAVY and is very helpful to have another set of hands making sure you have everything clear of the head when you pull it off.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

that sounds like a plan, I can then take the studs out at the workbench or not since I will be awapping heads anyway
thanks for the advice!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Too Fast Too Live

I myself did a full motor rebuild and took on and off the headers no problem with the head studs still on. they Will com off easier than you would think, its just like a puzzle, you just have to play with it. but i promise you it will take less time to remove the headers with the studs on than removing them. obv tis goes without saying remove the coolant pipe with a COLD ENGINE so there is less pressure, the 6 exhaust bolts at the collectors (end of the manifold) and have a friend pry down the lower exhaust (they are on rubber hangers) whilst you remove the headers by hand. if it takes 15 minuets to do id be surprised. but if you really want to remove the studs, you could use the double nut method but that is also unnecessary, the studs themselves on the end have a allen wrench key. if you have allen drivers (or an allen wrench) they'll back out, but keep in mind, you risk breaking a stud, and thats a huge headache and process you don't what to begin.

Good luck

(my car)

Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: