Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
'68 911 / '86 944

Garage
Manual steering rack

Hey guys, I have an '86 NA with power steering (but I've removed all power). I want to replace the unit with a manual rack. Purchased a manual rack of unknown year. Based on parts diagrams I guessing it is a rack for '83 model year (female thread tie rod ends). My questions are:
- can I take everything apart and clean it? if so, how do i pull the steering gear out of the frame?
- what kind of grease or oil would you use for reassembly?
- there is a small threaded hole on the bottom on the rack assembly (pencil is pointing to it in picture). My unit was filled with rubber (maybe hard RTV). Was this supposed to have a screw in it? I assume it is access for lubrication. I can refill with RTV or find a proper screw for it. Any thoughts?
- anything else I should look out for?
andy
Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I believe that hole is used to center the rack when doing an alignment. I used wheel bearing grease to lube it up, and I think you have it as far apart as it comes.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

last week i just rebuilt and replaced the racks steering gear and steering gear pinion for a quaife unit . you will need VW's special tools to totally tear down the rack . the tool slides over the rack end and grabs the 3 tangs on the body of the rack and the center part of the tool goes down inside of the rack and grabs the 6 cut outs on the nut inside the rack body . if your not replacing the steering gears then there is no need to tear it down that far . on a used rack just look for wear marks on the tension cup were it slides along the racks steering gear and check the steering gear its self . what your looking for is grooves in the 2 parts . if you can feal them with your finger nail then sand them out with a peace of 180 sand paper . the hole in the rack is for reassemble the rack to line up the steering gear pinion . you will see a small punch mark in the racks steering gear there is a round headed bolt the screws in to that hole and holds the rack gear from moving when putting it together . just fill the hole with silicone or a bolt thats no more than 10MM long . i don't know if you know this but you will also need to change the universal joint shaft from the column to the rack if your going from a power rack to manual rack . for lubing the rack i use a
synthetic based wheel bearing grease . in cold weather a standerd wheel bearing grease will make the wheel hard to turn . pack it with grease untill its coming out of the bearings on the steering gear pinion shaft where the universal joint shaft bolts up to .

Last edited by 962porsche; 05-25-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
'68 911 / '86 944

Garage
Yes, the rack and tension cup each have matching wear grooves. I should be able to sand them smooth. Packing the whole thing with grease until it comes out the pinon will be a lot of grease! Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it will take about a quarter to a half tub of grease . how i packed it was i cut a hole in a peace of cardboard and covered the working end of the rack . then put a bolt in that hole you were asking about . and pack the grease in the hole were the tension cup goes .
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Awesome 962! Thanks! I think I'll tear down my spare rack.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: