Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
High Performance Timing Belt

Has anyone tried the high performance timing belt that is being sold? It is the blue one claiming to be three times stronger than stock, and double the tooth strength. You can find it at www.***************/newproducts.asp

2008 Toyota Siena
Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Greasy Member

All flaming allowed.....
Just stick with the standard belt set ($60.00) every 30k miles and you'll be ok.

my $.02
-Nick
-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rennbay sells the same kit

I went with one for a peace of mind, not installed yet - but based on feedback from other people on Rennlist (of which some have used this belt)

aparently it doesn't stretch as much as a regular belt, is much stronger, so if you are doing the belt job yourself - you don't have to be "as accurate" when installing it (you still have to do it with proper tools and everything, but there is more leeway, especially with readjusting the belt)

from what I understood from Travis (Rennbay) - he said it's OK to use a Kricket tool, and once you get a consistant reading a few times (assuming the tool is good), you should be all set
Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

I'm about due for a new belt.
What are the pros & cons of this new belt?
Is it all hype?
I know it doesn't stretch like the older style belt, so does it need to be set as tight to allow for the motor to expand as it heats?
what is the life span of the belt?
I like the idea if a stronger belt, I'm surprised it took so long for the belt technology to get to the 944.
Too bad they don't make a belt that still has some stretch with the stronger tooth design.
any input is appreciated
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well the belt itself will cost over $200.00n and you still will need all the other stuff. The belt has kevlar used in it for strength. Are you willing to let the balance belt go that long without changing?

Just my thought,
Larry
Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Architect / Car Guy

Send a message via AIM to carlege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad#3 View Post
Well the belt itself will cost over $200.00n and you still will need all the other stuff. The belt has kevlar used in it for strength. Are you willing to let the balance belt go that long without changing?

Just my thought,
Larry
its 125 but your right if the belt dosent fail other parts might it might be good to check it every 40k along with other things
Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Next time around for me I'll put one in but that doesn't mean I'll leave it in there any longer than a regular one - just nice for the extra peace of mind for those 30k miles.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Architect / Car Guy

Send a message via AIM to carlege
if your going to keep it on for only 30k i see the belt like insurance for mail.... Your paying to have them do a job then you pay extra money to make sure they do their job for piece of mind.... Just dosent make sense. i would atleast expect 60k from the belt? double the interveral?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

but what about the other belts and rollers - are they going to last 60k??

If you have to break it open to replace the balance belt and rollers then why even bother?

For a belt that literally means life or death for your engine, I'm OK with paying an extra $100 to make sure nothing freaky happens and it slips or breaks apart.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

they sell a kevlar balance belt as well.

Does anything bad happen if a balance belt breaks???
Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I wouldn't trust the cricket.

Speedracing944 and I tried it a versus his P9201. We couldn't get any two reading that were even in the ballpark of each other, while the P9201 was pretty close on every try.

I also have to wonder how well this belt deals with the expansion of the engine as it heats up.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Redline Racer

If I just spent thousands of dollars building a race motor, I would probably decide not to trust it to a $12 rubber belt. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the regular belt. Then you get to check everything else WYIT for tensionings and replacements...like the weeping water pump shaft seal I never would have noticed until it gets way too bad if it weren't for being in there re-tensioning the belt.

Yeah, I've seen so much negative feedback from the crikit, I wouldn't even consider it as an option to double check. Actually the best way to do "by hand" that I've seen described here on the forum is the water pump test. Do not roll the engine -15 degrees for this. The water pump pulley will be somewhat difficult to move, but possible without tools when the tension is correct. If you can't budge it, it's too tight. If it moves without having to try very hard, it's too loose. I just tried it for the first time the other day and it's totally consistent with my other tried and true "feel" methods which were checked against the P9201. I think I saw it originally posted by John_AZ, but I can't remember. I say it's pretty brilliant, nonetheless.

Last edited by HondaDustR; 06-22-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman944 View Post
Rennbay sells the same kit...
We supply automotin with the belts and they are a great upgrade. The $125 cost is a bit higher than the aftermarket belts out there but it is the same price as the Genuine Porsche belt... only 3 x stronger.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I would love to see the quantification of the claim "3 X stronger". Just curious how it was measured.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

pretty easy to check - i believe the figure - kevlar is rough stuff

what i am waiting for is the kevlar balance belt - that is the one that gets the 968 in trouble - our timing belt is automatically tensioned - but the balance belt is manually tensioned - it stretches, gets loose, hops around, and gets tangled up in the timing belt, taking it out

i wonder what the life span is compared to the 3 years of the rubber
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracing944 View Post
I would love to see the quantification of the claim "3 X stronger". Just curious how it was measured.

Speedy
From what I am told, test belts are taken out of each lot when they are made. They are put into a test setup that runs the belts continuously at variable torque and speeds. There is a standard amount of time that the belt has to withstand the testing procedure without showing signs of fatigue. The Racing belts are left in 3 times longer and have to pass the same inspection.

So... yep. Thats how they qualify as "3 X stronger." And yes, from what I am told there is not much left of the normal belts when they are run for the same length of time as the racing series.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

for the extra $100 good insurance

Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: