Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bolt removal advice

One of the bolts that holds the camshaft housing/valve cover onto the cylinder head of my engine has an allen key tip broken off into the head. To make problems worse, it's one of the bolts that is recessed inside of the housing that is accessed through one of the plugged holes on the cover.

It seems impossible to try and drill the allen tip out and i'm having a hell of a time otherwise trying to get it out.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get it out?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Drill a small hole in the allen bit and drive a sheet metal screw into it, soak it with lube and pull. It might work?
79 924 (Wife's summer car), 02 C230k (Wife's winter car),
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You will need a long drill bit, about the size of the shaft of the bolt you are trying to remove.

Drill at the center of the hex until the head of the bolt pops onto the drill bit.

After removing the cam housing, completely disassemble it and, using a magnet and parts washer, make sure that all of the drill shavings are removed before reassembling.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi, If a common drill bit does not drill a hole you may have to use a cobalt tip drill bit. The hex head broken off inside the bolt is hardened steel, most likely a cheap tool and why it broke off. People always say to buy the best tools you can afford. Really holds true when working on a Porsche. Stanley tools are out, MHO, Snap-on or MAC work great.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
I can't remember what that looks like down in there, but they may tools to remove bolts with rounded off heads that go around the outside of the bolt that may help some...not sure. One thing to make sure is that you keep the bolts around the bolt with the problem in place. By keeping those bolts tight, it will take the pressure off the bolt with the broken allen wrench.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i tore off a bolt when i put my torque tube back on, the easiest method i found was the "easy-out". its basically a backwards drill, you drill a small hole in the bolt and then using the easy out it taps itself into the bolt and back it on out.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: