Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

83 Fuel pump no power

ive been troubleshooting a no start condition on my 83 and found that the fuel pump is not receiving power even with the relay jumped. however when i put my hand on the pump it is noticeably hot. what would be the cause of this? just a bad pump?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi, if your pump is getting hot seems to me that it is getting voltage. I would have a buddy crank the motor over and while he is cranking you put a volt meter on the 2 leads going to the pump itself and see if you are getting voltage to it. 12 volts to fuel pump will only be present when car is turned over not when key is just turned on.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

it should be getting 12v from the leads at all times when jumped though shouldnt it? i tested for the 12v from the green wire on the fuel pump. i also dont hear it humm when the key is turned like it normally should to prime the system
Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi, yes the relay should be getting 12 volts when jumped to the fuel pump. The reason that I think it could be geting voltage is that your pump is hot? Hot pump means voltage and no turn? You will only get 12 volts normally to pump when you crank the starter over. It is a safety feature. You won't get 12 volts with just the key on to pump unless the wiring has been changed by someone in the past?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Look for a burned contact at the back of the fuse block. The fuel pump contact is very susceptible to that problem.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
Look for a burned contact at the back of the fuse block. The fuel pump contact is very susceptible to that problem.
ill do that when i get home today.

how would i bypass a aftermarket alarm thats designed to cut power to the DME/Fuel Relay. im thinkin mayb that is the cause since it has sat for so long not plugged in and in the vegas heat mayb it is faulty now.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi, you are going to have to trace your aftermarket alarm wires and disable them one by one.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsn View Post
Hi, you are going to have to trace your aftermarket alarm wires and disable them one by one.
ugh, i really dont enjoy tracing wires in the car. i gotta trace the power window wires too since my passenger side doesnt work
Old 07-13-2009, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

aftermarket alarms are aftermarket alarms and wirings vary I would think.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I would put my money on a clogged fuel pump. run a jumper line from the battery to the pump, and if you don't hear the little guy hmmmm it's the pump.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

checked the back of the fuse panel, no scarring on it though the fuse was toast from bein jumped to long. also cehcked for voltage to the pump while bein cranked over, it received 10 on first turn of key then it jumped up to 12-13 for the rest of the turn over.

if i pull the pump how would i go about looking to see if its clogged? or should i not bother and just replace it.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It could be the fuel pump check valve is froze up. It is located on the out flow side of the pump, between pump and fuel filter. If frozen it can ruin the pump. Tap it several times and it might free up the valve.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I would just replace the pump and make sure your tank is clean inside. After you drain the tank you can pull the sending unit in the trunk area and inspect your tank. Or you could do it with fuel in there as well. A dirty tank will wipe out a new pump in no time.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

the tank is pretty clean, when i emptied the fuel out before putting new stuff in it came out just as clean as the stuff i put in. ill check out the valve when i get home, im a little hesitant to pinch that hose though as there's signs of cracking on the outside and my face doesnt like gasoline haha.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: