Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to racer951y
overheating :(

it is about 104 in my area right now and when I was driving my S2 back I was about a mile and a half from my house when I noticed that the temp gauge had moved up to the upper white dash and stayed there I drove it the rest of the may home (about 3-5 minutes of drive time) and shut the car off the over heating light never came on and one of the fans was on found out the other was seized.

I let it cool down in my driveway for about 10 minutes then restarted and moved it to the covered shop when I restarted the temp dropped almost all the way to the upper lower white line and it ran fine.

So did I do any damage to the motor?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
It's hard to say. You'll just have to see what happens.

If you find it overheats again then that could be a sign of a blown headgasket (after fixing the seized fan - if it's 104F in your area, I wouldn't drive it again till the fan is fixed).

Also watch the oil condition - to see if there is any coolant getting in the oil - it makes it look like a chocolate milkshake kinda color. This would also be a sign of a blown headgasket. As would white smoke coming out the exhaust.

If you make it a couple weeks or so and none of these problems develop, then you're probably okay.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mountain Road Maniac

Garage
You're probably OK if you only drove 5 minutes that way. If you're not running synthetic oil, you may want to consider using it . It saved my engine when I was having overheating problems in my '83.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to racer951y
I run Mobil 1 5w30 I will check it for the milkshake tomorrow

I am calling Oklahoma foreign in the morning to see if they have a fan set and I drove it later today and it never got that hot again so might have been the slow speeds I was going in town
Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
You're probably OK if you only drove 5 minutes that way. If you're not running synthetic oil, you may want to consider using it . It saved my engine when I was having overheating problems in my '83.
+1 run synthetic oil in hot conditions or extreme highway conditions. It also saved my 84!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer951y View Post
I run Mobil 1 5w30 I will check it for the milkshake tomorrow

I am calling Oklahoma foreign in the morning to see if they have a fan set and I drove it later today and it never got that hot again so might have been the slow speeds I was going in town
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_944 View Post
+1 run synthetic oil in hot conditions or extreme highway conditions. It also saved my 84!!
I use the oil that is recommended in my 924S '87 and '88 owners manual.

John_AZ
Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

only to the white dash should be ok.

idling, slow speeds can get hot with only one fan.
just replace the bad fan.

i use 20w50 synthetic valvoline.

"may the force be with you"
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Normal operating temps run from 9 o'clock to the top white line, then float between. No need to panic here.

Fix yer fans.

FYI as John said, use recommended oil. Synthetic is a good oil, but these engines were not designed for it. You may (likely will) develop oil leaks with synthetic oil.

I run 20 W 50 Castrol and change every 5,000 kms...no issues.
Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: