Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 924 wont start

hi again
i have a 87 924 porsche. lately it has been doing something goofy when i go to start it it wont start the first time it just rolls over, then turn the key off and try it again and it fires right up no problem. done this a few times in the past month or so. so today i leave for lunch and get to third gear and it just dies like some one shut the key off no spiting or spuddering. and now it wont start it appears to have spark i only know this because i checked it with a screw driver in the coil wire to the engine. if any one has any sugestions to a fix it would be appreciated
thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

When this happens, do you hear the fuel pump hummmmm?
If not, the typical cause is the DME/fuel pump relay. It happens so often, many carry a spare or the 3 wire jumper you can build if you look at www.Clarks-Garage.com.

If you did hear the fuel pump, it could just be bad battery cable connections at the battery or begin to clean ALL of you grounds. Here is a pic from TecnoDuck:

Then it could be the ignition switch contacts--and for our cars $4 Pelican price is a good deal.

GL
John_AZ
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Listen to John. Call him Wise John. Give him offerings.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you Rasta for the kind approval .

I see you finally sold your car

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/516951-my-new-924-a.html

John_AZ
Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

still wont start

i havnt had any time realy to mess with the car but i did change the filter because i thought it may be pluged and not letting fuel get to the fuel rail but i changed that and no change. then my buddy showed up and i had him crank the car over to see if it was pumping and it made no noise (the pump), so just to reassure this i pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and cranked the car over and it should have shot a stream out but not hardly even a drop came out.
by the way this has been a reoccoring problem but ususally it starts up if you shut the key off and try it again but this time it just stalled instantly and wouldnt start up (first time it happened going down the road, when it did it before it was after the car was setting for a couple hours or over the course of a day at work.
so my next step is to check the relay with jumper wires and check the fuel pump off the car with a little power to see if i can make it run. but if any one has a good suggestion on how to go about this or a better elimation process i will be more than happy to get some more help
thanks guys

Last edited by ktmfreak2004; 08-10-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Grounds or DME relay.
79 924 (Wife's summer car), 02 C230k (Wife's winter car),
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

that is what i am hopping for cause i dont want to buy a expensive fuel pump @ $230.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i just for the heck of it went out side to goof with the car and tryied tapping on the relay and hit the key and it started right up so i am going to try getting new relay and see how far that will get me
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmfreak2004 View Post
i just for the heck of it went out side to goof with the car and tryied tapping on the relay and hit the key and it started right up so i am going to try getting new relay and see how far that will get me
OOORRRRRRR,

Try this.
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2001/DME_relay_failure.htm

GL
John_AZ
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It is always best to keep a spare DME Relay in the glovebox or a 3 wire jumper. Ref: clarks-garage.com.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I am going to buy 2 of them today and 1 to fix the car and a spair and just for the heck of it i am going to try fixing the old one like john_az suggested
thanks guys
on a differnt note any one herd of the sunroof cable running its self all the way out and not running the other way?? I think that it is the switch failing
Old 08-11-2009, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: