Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

9000th wheel offset question

I found hundreds of threads when searching for wheel offset questions, so sorry, I have to post another one instead of spending hours reading.

I know you CAN NOT put early offset wheels on a late car, and that you CAN put late offset on an early car with spacers if you want the overall track width to match.

But if I buy some late offset 7x15 phonies for my 84, will I be able to bolt them on and drive without spacers? Are they too narrow without the spacers and stud extensions?
I just want to use them for highway tires to and from the track, I don't care about looks or performance decrease.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Most likely they will rub the calipers. And in cornering may rub lord knows what. I would not do it. Fitment is tight stock to begin with and losing 24mm or so is huge.

Dal
Old 08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have an 88 with the late offset 52.3mm.

A couple of years ago, I purchased some 928 phone dials with 65mm offset. They fit but something did not look right. After a couple of months, it was getting to me so I measured the distance outside to outside - then put my old wheels on and measured. The difference was 3". The 928 wheels fit the car but were 3" narrower because of the bigger offset.

In your case, the later offset may fit & work, but without spacers, the wheels will fit narrower (closer to the center of the car). In fact, they will be 52.3 - 23 mm difference on each side (29.3mm - that's almost an inch on each side). This may look funny as it will appear that you have narrower wheels (even though you don't) because the fender space will be bigger. You can correct with spacers.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924Sman View Post
Most likely they will rub the calipers. And in cornering may rub lord knows what. I would not do it. Fitment is tight stock to begin with and losing 24mm or so is huge.

Dal
Hadn't thought about the calipers. Not worth the risk just because they're a bargain. thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: