Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SS braided fuel line odor

Several months ago I replaced all my rear fuel lines with new stock ones. I also replaced the front with a set up similar to that of Lindsey's SS braided kit, except I used parts from Mocal, due to the hoses running behind the brake booster.

When I put my nose against the SS braided lines, I get a fuel smell. Nothing is wet with fuel anywhere. The weird thing is, my Dad's '88 has the Lindsey kit installed and has the exact same problem. My girlfriend is complaining about the fuel smell in the garage and now she wants the car out! Help me!

Anybody with the Lindsey kit or any SS lines have this fuel odor problem? Can these hoses be defective?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
I have custom SS lines on my 931, under quite a bit of pressure, and they don't smell. I also doubt the hose itself is defective. . .if there is a leak, it seems more likely to be at the crimp.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If the smell is strong enough to make your girlfriend want the car out of the garage - you definately have a leak. It's not wet because the fuel is vaporizing and evaporating but that is the perfect condition for an explosion - you want to make this an immediate maintenance priority. Even if you have to go back to stock fuel lines until you figure it out.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The car is now parked outside until I figure this out (safety is my first priority.) I wouldn't think the hose is defective either, but the smell seems to be coming from the hose itself, away from the fittings, but I could be wrong. I assembled the hose and fittings myself and everything went together nicely.

Perhaps I just need to buy another length of hose and reassemble it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
If you have a bad crimp, I'd imagine the fuel would travel (via capillary action) down the braiding pretty readily.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That would certainly be possible.

I just got off the phone with a tech rep. at Mocal and he explained to me that the ethanol in fuel can attack the rubber and leach out of the hose, causing the odor. Whether this is the case or not, I will not rule it out.

Either way, I am going to disassemble and inspect. Might go with the teflon lined hose that Mocal supplies.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would NOT use ethanol fuel in a 944, or ANY Porsche for that matter.

Actually, I wouldn't use it any any of my vehicles...winterbeast included.
Magnaflow 2 1/2" exhaust with K & N 4 inch custom intake
MaxHP chipped
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Sadly, it's mandatory here. . .that's why I updated my lines to teflon/SS.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah, where I am most of the pumps state "contains up to 10% ethanol". Likely to effect the integrity of rubber hoses. Good to hear someone else having success with teflon lined hoses. Most likely I will go that route.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I recently had a SS fuel line fail -- and I could only detect the leak when the fuel line was under pressure. It failed at the hose due to some rubbing of the fuel line with other engine parts. I would definitely get that line replaced -- I went with a Rennbay fuel line as the replacement.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Ethanol's been in the fuel for years, at least around here! Seems like they would have changed the hose in the kit to something that could withstand it. I would try to talk to them about it. Maybe they'll send some different hose or something. They didn't say anywhere the hose is not meant for ethanol blended fuels, did it?
1987 silver 924S 210k mi! - Rebuilt motor survived 60K so far. Bottom end balanced, Custom mild ported head, Port matched intake, LR 944MAX chip, Thush Welded muffler, Bilstein shocks, MSD Blaster 2 coil, ect ect...Needs 8 more valves!
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 24V DOHC- New toy/backup plan...Borla cat back, Injen intake. Needs headers and a real set of cams.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Not sure how long ethanol has been around this neck of the woods. Seems like I've noticed it more in the past 5 years.

As I mentioned earlier, My Dad is having the exact same problem with the SS lines in his '88. Coincidence? I don't know, but the hose is rated for gas, fuel, oil, water and air, so I assumed that ethanol/gas blend would be fine. I will call them to see if they can help me out.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

ss braided line

yes! db cooper...i can smell the gas when i put my nose to the line...but it is not leaking at any juncture.....no gas is evident. when i stand above the lines, i get no fuel smell, only when i put my nose directly on the line. what was the solution? i hate to take that line out again it was a brand new ss line from lindsey racing......
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newworld View Post
yes! db cooper...i can smell the gas when i put my nose to the line...but it is not leaking at any juncture.....no gas is evident. when i stand above the lines, i get no fuel smell, only when i put my nose directly on the line. what was the solution? i hate to take that line out again it was a brand new ss line from lindsey racing......
I too can smell gas from my new hoses. This was the very first thing I did to the car after I got it, and I used the rennbay lines. I replaced the originals because I could smell gas when I stuck my nose down to the lines, and I was disappointed to find that I could smell gas again with the new lines immediately after installation.

Now, my garage smells of gas too, but it is coming from the tank area and not the fuel lines in the engine bay, probably from the return or vent lines above the tank, or possibly the tank itself. The tank will be coming out this winter and all lines replaced.

I am planning on replacing the lines under the hood soon too, with some braided items, perhaps from Lindsey, along with new pressure regulator and seals for good measure.

After my friend's 86 turbo burned in the garage where we both parked next to each other every day, I don't take gas smells very lightly! In his case, the leak was likely at the custom pressure regulator, perhaps not being tight enough. After he drove off, just before the fire started, there was a puddle of gas next to my 944... Within minutes, all he had was melted alloy, seized steel, burned fingers, and a totaled 944 turbo.
2003 F150 Supercrew 4x4
1988 F350 Regular Cab 4x4
Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

newworld- I ended up replacing the ss braided rubber hoses with ss braided teflon hoses from Mocal. They require different fittings (TFE) though, so you can't just buy a length of teflon hose. Look at the online Mocal (B.A.T.) catalogue, figure out what you need and give them a call, they'll help you out.
After doing this upgrade, I no longer have any fuel smell off those lines. My Dad also replaced his Lindsey kit with teflon. It sucks to spend more money, but I can sleep at night knowing that everything is sealed up. Cheap compared to losing your car, your house or your life.

ewalt98- Any kind of fuel smell should be addressed right away as your friend found out the hard way. Lots of houses with gas water heaters and furnaces in the garage. Fuel vapor and a pilot light is a bad mix.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
ewalt98- Any kind of fuel smell should be addressed right away as your friend found out the hard way. Lots of houses with gas water heaters and furnaces in the garage. Fuel vapor and a pilot light is a bad mix.
Yep, that's why I keep constant airflow through the garage until I can get everything fixed.
2003 F150 Supercrew 4x4
1988 F350 Regular Cab 4x4
Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

This is important enough to bring it to the top.

Len

Old 02-04-2017, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Teflon lined hoses are always a must with fuel containing ethanol.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
That Ethanol s**t has been forced upon us here in the US for that last 20 years. I remember when it came out in the early 90's. I've had so many issues with my small engines that I've quit using it in my bike, lawn mower, and any other small engine equipment where the fuel will sit for a few weeks if not months in the tank. Fortunately in our area we have several gas stations that sell no-ethanol gas. Why anyone would make replacement fuel lines for these cars and NOT make them with line that is ethanol compatible is beyond me.
84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: