Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Sully

Porsche Crest AC Clutch squeal

I have yet another question. This time its about the ac unit.

After a few weeks of running great my ac compressor recently started leaking, just as it's starting to get really hot- figures. I dealt with it for a while but eventually I got tired of sweating in traffic. I found the leak and took the compressor off the other day. Long story short I put it back on found more leaks took it back off....and so on. 11 hrs later I finally got her sealed shut with not leaks. Good news!! However, now whenever I turn the AC on the clutch engages and starts to squeal. I turn the ac off and it immediatly goes away. I looked at the clutch while running w/ ac on and noticed it would turn intermittently (not sure on the spelling). Basically it would go about a half a turn then stop then go a little more, go a couple cycles and stop. I sprayed some lubricant on the clutch in the hopes to free it up. Would this cause it to slip though? And if it was slipping would it still make a squealing noise? Im almost positive I didnt overfill it but not 100%. I looked at buying a new clutch assembly or new compressor but Im trying to avoid it if at all possble.

I've never messed with a compressor before so Im not sure exactly how they work. I did notice 2 bearing on the shaft of the compressor though. Would these be the problem? I have also read about "oiling" the compressor. Not sure what that is or even how to do it. Before I tore the compressor back about I wanted to make sure it wasnt a quick fix.

Tks for all the help.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you put any oil into the system once you fixed your leaks? It looks like your compressor has failed and is locking up. Continual use will melt the the coil in the clutch and ruin that too.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 08-29-2009, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Sounds like a botched shaft seal repair. Did you set the air gap? Was the clutch bearing in good shape? Lubricant on the clutch doesn't seems like the right combination, it's operates on magnetism/friction.

I'm curious to know how you sealed it up.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You did check the belt tension, right?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Sully

Well...sounds like I did everything wrong. Didnt check the air gap, didnt put oil in the system....i did check the belt tension though. As of right now it's not squealing anymore and its blowing ice cold air. I'm not sure what I did to fix it. Maybe it just had to seat itself again. THe bearing were in excellent shape, that's why I was so puzzled they were making noise. Ill keep ya'll updated and let you know if it starts squealing again.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: