Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave101
GT Racing rear fiberglass hatch.

Has anyone seen the gt-racing rear fiberglass hatch that is supposed to replace the original hatch? I am wanting to replace my original heavier, leaking, pain in the u-know-what hatch and this one is listed for $495.00. My car is not a race car but I rarely open the rear hatch anyway. I was just wondering if it was ok or if it was just a waste of money. Thanks!

1984 944 N/A Black (Daily Driver.)
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

GT Racing designs parts for race cars. It will take quite a bit of time to get a proper fit & finish for a street car. Fiberglass can distort some while being shipped. If you don't mind uneven gaps, and more road noise, then not a big deal. Does this hatch include a lexan window? If so, it will not be as clear as glass, and will tend to flex while driving, creating distortion.

Plenty of used 944 hatches around for less money.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Like Dantilla said, this will add more road noise and will take work to fit well (so it may still leak). If it has the lexan window, you will have flexing while driving (why some have metal straps down the window) and lexan becomes cloudy very easily compared to glass, so it may start being hard to see through.

1984 944 -Race car project
1993 968 coupe- Amazon Green
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is there a good way that permanently fixes the rear hatch leak issues? I keep getting water in my trunk area. Was there ever a "GOOD" rear window made that doesn't cost $2000.00?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I know this is supposed to be a common problem, but I've had several 944s, and never had a "leaker".

I've got an extra hatch sitting in storage. As I race a 944, I'm keeping a bunch of body parts in case I do something stupid and need to start replacing broken stuff, but I've never had difficulty finding used 944 parts.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Most likely the leak is the rubber seal at the base - not the glass per se (they get dry-rotted and allow water to get in when passing through the drain holes in the rubber wing). This is an easy thing to fix with either a new rubber seal or some silicone.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I installed a new rubber seal all around the hatch opening. I did find one that appears to be a really nice one. However, it is way over my budget.
http://www.v-zweeden.com/product_info.php?products_id=494&currency=USD&osCsid=f98476dea4a3fa3ec68e543b27e5fe5b

It does look awesome though. Maybe one day....

Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to cvriv.charles
IMHO,... please dont do that to your car. Thank god it's not in your price range. Keep your rear hatch and spend the money to get it leak free. please.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to uvachief
Every place I take to remove, reseal and re-install my rear hatch glass to a new frame turns it down. The three or four shops that specialize in Porsche restoration say it is not worth the effort as the same problem will occur in as little as 6 months because it is an engineering flaw. The way it is designed it has to separate from the top of the glass frame because of the amount of pressure applied to the glass as it is opened and closed. I've probably looked at over a dozen used hatches and every single one of them has at least a 1mm or 2mm gap at the top which results in the common leaky rear hatch complaint. I am leaning towards that rear hatch replacement from GT Racing as well but if it is just going to lead to more problems, forget it.

Are their shops where I could have a rear hatch assembled and shipped so I know it isn't going to leak? I just don't believe anyone that says their hatch doesn't leak at the top where the glass meets the frame. Every single Porsche 944 I have ever seen has this same problem. Most 924s seem to have it as well.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvachief View Post

I just don't believe anyone that says their hatch doesn't leak at the top where the glass meets the frame. Every single Porsche 944 I have ever seen has this same problem. Most 924s seem to have it as well.
Sorry to say ,but I'm one guy who did own a 944 for 26years & never had the hatch leak on it sold it two years ago & still don't leak ,your assumption that every 924S- 944 rear hatch leak's is completly false ,like anything else on your car the hatch need proper maintenance & adjustement once in a while so it don't become loose & self destroy itself,rubber around it has to be clean periodically & treat with vynyl & rubber cleaner/conditioner such as Meguiar's,other mistake that peoples do when closing the hatch is to put all their weigth on it & slame it down ,those hatchs are not truck tail gates & should be treated as such ,lowering it down slowly & applying reasonnable force to close it down is all it need.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I would like to say that I have fixed my rear hatch. Not sure how long it will last. What I did was take off the trim piece on top. Then I cut out as much of the old urethane as I could. cleaned it really good with rubbing alcohol. After that was completed pressed down on the frame to open up a little so I could squeeze some 3m Window Weld. It bonded to the glass and old urethane still on the hatch frame. From there I smoothed out the urethane and put some rachet straps on it along with using some plastic clamps to squeeze the frame to the glass. Don't do this too tight or you might break the glass. And it has been holding great so far. I left the struts off for 5-6 weeks. It has been holding great. I would try this before giving up.

I followed the Pelican Parts tutorial on this up to a point. Instead of using Silicone I use 3m Window Weld and it has been fine. Also make sure your rear pins are set correctly.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
I guess it is just an anomaly that every 944 I have ever seen has separation at the top of the hatch where the glass meets the frame but that's possible. Anyone found an easier way to remove the old urethane other than spending about 4 hours scraping away? Any solvents out there that won't damage the frame? Any place to pick up a cleaned, replacement frame for $100 or $150 so you can skip the scraping?

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
You mean like this? Please find an alternative, there has to be something better than this

Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
uvachief

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs77 View Post
You mean like this? Please find an alternative, there has to be something better than this

That car looks preggers!

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: