Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Won't Start

I've just finished putting everything back together after my valve job and had double checked it all last night before finally turning the key about 9pm.

I hooked up my Vitara with jump leads to the battery (in the boot in my 86) and turned the key, all the big exclamation mark on the dash lights up and the battery and fuel guages bounce up. After that turning the key to the next position does nothing - all I can hear in a relay click once.

My battery is totally dead has been since late June, should I be able to get the power I need from my 4x4 (engine running) to start this?

The earth at the engine has been cleaned up and has in my opinion good metal to metal contact.

I have looked through the clarks garage trouble shooting list, hope its not the starter teeth but think it would turn slightly or make a noise if it was.

Thoughts????
Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Sounds like a bad ignition switch....which are plastic and prone to cracking. There are 3 modes to the switch-off, start, and run. Off is no issue....start is where the lights/gauges come on and run is last which keeps the engine fired. I would remove the switch and have a look at the white plastic housing for cracks.....But it would be best if the battery is fully charged first then go from there.

Dal
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for that - after 3 nights wasted and checking the ignition switch, found an immobiliser box under the dash which after speaking to the PO turns out there is a touch sensitive turn off which he forgot to tell me about (car wasn't running when i bought it)!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: