Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Missing trip switch

I have a second 85/2 944 that I'm now restoring. I have a problem in that the PO removed the trip switch completely. The push button in the vent area is there, but behind that the switch is missing. I found a good used trip meter switch and plan on installing it in place in the dash frame. The problem is the two wires, one red and yellow and the other is brown and yellow, that start from the switch and go into one of the cluster plugs. There are three plugs on the back of the instrument cluster, A is low on the very left, B is vertical and is behind the Tach, and C is lower and on the right side. Question is where do the two wires of the switch connect to one of these plugs that are on the back of the instrument cluster (assuming that the wires from the switch go to one of the plugs)?

Thanks.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
I have tried to find the wiring in the Workshop Manuals Electrical without any help, also the PET does not show where they go either. Is there a search on this site that would lead me to any answers?

I have an 85.5 that does have the wiring, switch and all in place but it is a pristine car and never been apart there so I hesitate to rip into it to find out, but that may be my only source.

Thanks

Last edited by Cocacolakidd; 09-17-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, look at it this way. If you do take out the trim it will give you a chance to clean all the vent levers of 20 plus years of filth (kids tooth brush) , and replace the felt on the back panel edge that closes for the defrost. You can also clean off the old silver paint with finger nail polish remover from the gage cluster light prisms (3ea) and either buy a kit for $30, or do what I did. I'm an old man and cheap, I put on aluminum foil over the prisms with super glue around the edges. I cleaned every dirty light bulb. I just installed the gage cluster last night and had to dim the lights as they are really bright now. Texasblake.com has a good article on how he did the lights with the $30 kit. Now you can find out where the wires for the trip switch can be spliced into the proper wire bundle, AND you have a Clean Dash panel. Well worth the effort.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In my WSM Vol. 4, page 97-52D, far left side at A/14 is the speedotrip setter. Pin 1 is brown wire with a yellow stripe goes to pin 17 in the "B" center plug. Pin 2 is a red wire with yellow stripe is power wire. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Hello all,

Granddad#3 that was exactly it - thanks.

My workshop Manual does not include a page 97-52. The wiring diagrams to me may as well be Russian so I kept searching and found the diagram on page 97-59 in my WSM (Wiring Diagram Type 944, 944 Turbo Model 85/2 page 3). So the mystery is solved on the missing trip set wire.

On the wiring diagram at the reset switch it also shows the 0.5 rt/ge (Red with yellow) wire is a weld point connection at H34 - to me this would be a switched positive to complete the circuit - correct.

Thank you very much - that made my whole day.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hello, Glad you found the wire connection. You must be missing a page, but it shows the same on 97-59 and yes, H34 is a weld point for hot wire. Over the years PO's have cut, spliced, and used American color wire so it is sometimes hard to figure out what is what anymore. My son-in-law and I both have 85.5 n/a and an 83 n/a, so I have been looking for a inside wire bundle to use if I have to cut and splice. The dash piece you have off now with the air vents, check the vertical lever and watch the flap behind move up and down. It has a piece of foam or had a piece of foam that sealed off the opening when closed. I cleaned out the rotten foam channel and used felt to reseal. That blocks off the vent air and directs air to the w/shield defrost.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: