Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Omn3d0n

Angry Hunting idle, not a vacuum leak..Help...

Hi,

I have a 83 Spec 944 race car.
I've been having some issues
related to the car stalling and idling weird.
The shop has done the following.

1. Replace speed and ref sensors.
2. Replace DME relay
3. Replace engine harness.
4. Rewired secondary harness.
6. Vacuum hoses.

Still had the issue. Decided to
replace the DME and MAF with a later
(86) model one. The car runs better
and smoother.

It now has runs at idle smoothly,
but intermittently will either
drop or jump idle. When the car
is above around 1600 rpms, it does
not seem to do it.

Is this an ISV problem? Anything else
I should check?

Thanks
Sid
Old 09-27-2009, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
I have kinda the same thing on my 83 NA - occasionally, not always, the idle will drop and then come back. It acts just like when you take the vacuum line off the FPR. It'll drop to about 600 RPM, then come back - over and over and over.

But the really - really weird thing with mine - you turn on the A/C and it'll stop. Almost every time. The idle becomes rock solid again.

I can't imagine the relationship between turning the A/C on, and a vacuum problem (or whatever it is) but it really does exist. I can repeat the "fix" over and over - it almost always will make it quit dropping out.

It started this dropping out only after I had the intake manifold off, so I assumed it was vacuum related.

I ran a line direct from the throttle body to the FPR and it still does it, so I guess it isn't that.

I haven't done any more checking because the car runs just fine, otherwise. More of an annoyance than anything else. But it would be nice if I could get rid of it.

Maybe it is the ISV?

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ive been having this same issue (with the exception of the strange a/c fix). can someone please tell me the procedure to replacing all the vaccuum lines / how difficult it is to do?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Replacing the vacuum lines is no big deal. Clarks Garage has a map of where it all goes. Most people are going to silicone lines. A question for you all here: When you checked the vacuum system for leaks did you get to everything? Three places that frequently get missed are the t fitting under the j boot. It feeds the idle stabilizer and something else but I can't recall what. Second is the Vacuum Cannister next to the battery. Third is the throttle body shaft seals. They're tiny and rubber and definitely do cause leaks. I found mine using the air pressure into the j boot and soapy water solution sprayed on everything.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
yea i just found that my T fitting was unhooked! thankyou very much for this help. also, when looking at the engine from in front of the car, there are vacuum lines running to a device in the upper right corner. Its right on the firewall, in the corner in front of the driver. when I remove the line on top, the car idles higher and smoother.. what is this, and why would that happen?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: