Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dash swap complete

Is pretty much done! Ok, well I need the face for the A/C control unit, and I still have to put in two or three plastic pieces, but my dash swap is over with! I was successful too. It took a month, or three, but that was because I wasn't able to work on it everyday. Stupid high school. Lol. Honestly though, if someone else with an early interior is looking to to a dash swap, I say go for it. What you get when it's all done is amazing. I would suggest having parts car though. That way you have the steering column, dash switches, etc. You can also see how everything was fitted on the newer car.

Oh, I'm also looking for a driver side door panel, with the window switch. If anybody happens to have one... Lol.

Here a before picture.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Are you looking for a black door panel? I may have one.

My current stable: 1991 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, 1992 Mazda Miata, 2004 Lexus RX 330, 1994 F150 4x4 Supercab
Also rans: 1977 Carrera 3.0 (traded for C4 Cab.), 1983 944 (project car - sold)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx5 View Post
Are you looking for a black door panel? I may have one.
Yep.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Got more pics? This would be a fine HOW TO writeup.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
DMeyer944

I Also Have a Black Door Panel if u still need
Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po924S View Post
Yep.
Where you at?

My current stable: 1991 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, 1992 Mazda Miata, 2004 Lexus RX 330, 1994 F150 4x4 Supercab
Also rans: 1977 Carrera 3.0 (traded for C4 Cab.), 1983 944 (project car - sold)
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx5 View Post
Where you at?
I'm located in Chico, CA. Like an hour away from Sacramento. Lol.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, please do a write up on your project. This would help out alot of people!

http://porsche944celebrationedition.weebly.com/
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ahhh! Caught ya over here!

-1984 Porsche 928S- black/black
-1983 Porsche 944- guards red/black & beige (late dash swap in progress)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85.5classic View Post
Yes, please do a write up on your project. This would help out alot of people!
If I get time I will. Lol. There just isn't much I could write up on. I mean, I cut only like three pieces of metal, that was it. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcquito View Post
Ahhh! Caught ya over here!
You sure did! lol
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Interesting...

Just curious - what was the inspiration? Did you hate the early interior THAT much or was it a case of "hey I have a parts car with a new interior - I'm going to try this!"

Lots of difficult issues with this to do it correctly. What did you do about the heating/air conditioning ductwork? Do all the gauges actually work? What about the center console - all the wiring, switches, lighting, the lid, etc.? I'd love to know more details about the specific issues/challenges and how you addressed them.

You've probably figured this out already but it's worth pointing out that virtually everything for the new interiors is FAR more expensive than for the early ones - but again, personal preference. If you really gotta' have the newer interior then go for it. Off the top of my head, I know that the newer dashes' center console hinged lids are notorious for breaking and/or tearing, and replacements are quite costly. Same with the digital clocks on the passenger side. The a/c heater control units are pretty spendy too if you want a good one that the buttons aren't all destroyed on. I went through all these issues back when I had my 951... It's just a question of resources and will though - if you really want to make it "perfect" it can be done on the early dashes - it just isn't cheap.

All that work on freshening up the interior and you still have a ripped seat in there? Oh for shame, for shame...

I can respect the amount of work it takes - it's a pain. I recently changed the dash on my 944 too (admittedly mine was an early being replaced with another early - that's a big enough PITA, I can't imagine how much more of a PITA it would be to actually convert things).

You added an airbag? Tell me that's just the steering wheel itself and not the whole airbag system. I'd really be scared if you tried to retrofit an airbag system onto an early car...

Black Cars Matter

Last edited by Porsche-O-Phile; 09-30-2009 at 01:25 AM..
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My inspiration? I did not like the early interior, at all. Ha. I didn't hate the early interior. In fact when an early interior is in mint condition, it's a nice place to be. I'm not saying my interior was trashed or anything, it was actually in great shape. Yes, part of it was because I had a parts car. I told myself if I find a parts car that is somewhat close to me, I'll give it a shot. So I got lucky and found basically a complete car for $100. Lol. The heating/air conditioning will be sorted out when I can have a professional do it. I am not skilled enough to even attempt. Ha. The gauges work great, I still have to fully test them out though. The center console was a piece of cake. All the wires were just clipped, and put onto the new switches. Any screw holes that weren't already there, I simply just drilled in.

Oh I know the late interior is expensive. I also thought the early interior wasn't exactly cheap. Ha. You just have to find things at the right time like you stated. The cost doesn't concern me though when I'm dealing with my Porsche (not saying I'm rich, far from it). I just think the late interior looks much, how you say quality? Ha. Especially when I have the money for the 928 Leather Shop to do my dash, panels, etc. Lol.

Yes! Back off my seats! Ha. I got them for two hundred dollars. So I'm not going to complain. Haha.

It was a pain, but it was fun, so.. Lol. Air-bag? Oh hell no. I would never tamper with the air-bag. Haha. That's way to risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
Interesting...

Just curious - what was the inspiration? Did you hate the early interior THAT much or was it a case of "hey I have a parts car with a new interior - I'm going to try this!"

Lots of difficult issues with this to do it correctly. What did you do about the heating/air conditioning ductwork? Do all the gauges actually work? What about the center console - all the wiring, switches, lighting, the lid, etc.? I'd love to know more details about the specific issues/challenges and how you addressed them.

You've probably figured this out already but it's worth pointing out that virtually everything for the new interiors is FAR more expensive than for the early ones - but again, personal preference. If you really gotta' have the newer interior then go for it. Off the top of my head, I know that the newer dashes' center console hinged lids are notorious for breaking and/or tearing, and replacements are quite costly. Same with the digital clocks on the passenger side. The a/c heater control units are pretty spendy too if you want a good one that the buttons aren't all destroyed on. I went through all these issues back when I had my 951... It's just a question of resources and will though - if you really want to make it "perfect" it can be done on the early dashes - it just isn't cheap.

All that work on freshening up the interior and you still have a ripped seat in there? Oh for shame, for shame...

I can respect the amount of work it takes - it's a pain. I recently changed the dash on my 944 too (admittedly mine was an early being replaced with another early - that's a big enough PITA, I can't imagine how much more of a PITA it would be to actually convert things).

You added an airbag? Tell me that's just the steering wheel itself and not the whole airbag system. I'd really be scared if you tried to retrofit an airbag system onto an early car...
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Oh! I forgot! Ha. I would have not of done this if Marcquito didn't help me through the whole process.
Haha.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I may be wrong but I know the early speedo is cable driven, mechanically. isn't the late speedo electronic? How did you wire it up?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po924S View Post
The heating/air conditioning will be sorted out when I can have a professional do it.
Uh-oh.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
I may be wrong but I know the early speedo is cable driven, mechanically. isn't the late speedo electronic? How did you wire it up?

I have a Cable X thing that the cable plugs into, and converts into electric. Or, I may also switch over by using the speedometer sensor from late transmission. It will hook up to my 924S' transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
Uh-oh.
What? Was that a bad uh-oh? Ha.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
I think he means that anytime you leave something to have a "professional" look at it, it's going to set you back megabucks.

Black Cars Matter
Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
I think he means that anytime you leave something to have a "professional" look at it, it's going to set you back megabucks.
Ha. Yea thats what I though. By professional... I meant Marcquito stopping by to help me out.

Hahaha. Thats if that ever happens though. Lol.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
what did you do with the old dash cap? want to get rid of it?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: