Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I let run my diagnosis over with you guys

ok my noid light finally came today, came out that i was right about no juice getting to the injectors. well i also not getting any tach bounce, no juice at the speed and reference sensors plugs, she also isn't getting any spark. "pulled a plug and cranked her over" I also replaced the S&R sensors with new ones just to be sure. I'm pretty sure it's the computer now. is that a Norm for bad computers?

I just want to be sure before I'm able to borrow or buy one..

Just about a free man!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can you confirm that the DME relay is good and sending power to the DME? Can you confirm that the ignition switch is good and signalling the DME relay to close?
Cover the basics first before you go jumping off the deep end. The Motronic DME is pretty robust; they don't often just "go bad".
Have a look at the garage shop manual section on clarks-garage.com and start with the DME relay testing section.
'84 944 Gemini Grey (gone, but missed...)
Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Check your + battery terminal. The power lead for the DME corroded on me causing a similar problem. You might need to pull the sheath back a bit.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Levi, Check all the above. The ignition switch module forward of the key has a bad habit of cracking and losing contact inside. You will still be able to turn the engine over with the starter, but you will get NO SPARK from the coil. Also check the fuse in the top row, second from left. It is a fuse for the fuel pump 16 amp. It may look good, but replace it with a new one anyway. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Good advice, they are cheap. . .actually on my "just bought a new 2.5" mandatory refresh list.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I actually have an early cat, so no DME relay. I think i might as well replace the fuel pump relay, and get some fuses. It's definately worth a try. As for the battery terminals when i first bought her i was able to pick up a used one at a parts dismantler.....

John I agree, they just don't go bad all of a sudden, but right now she hasn't ran for close 6 months.

For the ignition switch it doesn't look like their is anyway to test it without removing the steeering colum?

Complicated little car i have.

Just about a free man!
Old 10-18-2009, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
I actually have an early cat, so no DME relay. I think i might as well replace the fuel pump relay, and get some fuses.
The DME relay and the fuel pump relay are one in the same.

993-615-227-00-M76 Fuel Pump/DME Relay, 924S/944/968 All (1983-95), Each
Brand: Stribel $25.25 Pelican

DIY repair:
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2001/DME_relay_failure.htm

2-4-1
GL
John_AZ

Last edited by John_AZ; 10-18-2009 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: DIY repair
Old 10-18-2009, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Put a meter on the connections to your starter and turn the key to test the ignition switch.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just stopped by BAP and they sold me secound relay shown in the pics above. "the grey one" it appears it is supposed to plug into the where the "24 relay" is shown above. From what i understand is that the fuel pump relay should be directly under the fuel pump fuse. '#2' but that spot is empty on mine....

I'm soo confused.

Just about a free man!

Last edited by AZ_porschekid; 10-18-2009 at 06:48 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
Now my relays really doesn't look like anything of the reference one from the manual. plus i have that circular looking relay thing. I have no idea why that's their, or what it's to.....

Just a WAG (never having looked at mine) but I'd guess the round one is either for the turn signals or the hazard lights?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I came home from practice and My DME relay finally came! I poped her in and now, i have all the insturement panal lights came on, and now she turns over with tach bounce!!!!

I left it at that since it's pretty dark in my driveway, i'll dig in on saturday because tomorrow i have a game... =]

Just about a free man!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Go to the link below for a Relay and Fuse Chart for your car. Oh ya, read each artical as well.

http://www.frwilk.com/

Cheers,
Larry
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

One apex at a time

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad#3 View Post
Go to the link below for a Relay and Fuse Chart for your car. Oh ya, read each artical as well.

http://www.frwilk.com/

Cheers,
Larry
I put one together a while back for my 924s. Since yours is an early car it should be applicable as well.
Fuse & Relays 924s

PDF of the same
http://www.ehadesign.com/~dsmith/924s_Fuse_&_Relays_wwm.pdf

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: