Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 S2 cam timing adjust for track ?

Hey all I am new to this forum and have not done a search. So forgive me if this has been answered in a previous post. Has anyone played with the intake cam timing on a 89 3.0 16valve S2 engine? Have set the cams up with dial indicators for the .75 mm as per the fact. set up. And actually set the cams up for the 1.4 mm setting for the 2.5 engine and do not have valve hit when turning by hand. But have not measured full valve lift to see how much room I have. Has anyone set this engine up for more or less cam advance with stock cams and adjusters? Thanks in advance. Engine is NA all stock with only an add on air mass in place of the flow meter. Track car only.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did not mean to scare anyone? This is a thought not something that will be done without testing. I understand this takes allot of work but I am not getting answers from the Porsche people in my area so thought I would ask on some forums. Is this some guarded secret or has no one tried this and had any success? I only play with 2 944's for the track the rest are BMW's so the cars are some what new to me any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nobody really does anything with this. It's a ***** to get a dial indicator on the lifter with the cam lobe in the way, you need like some kind of narrow needle-like extension on it. You can be as far as 4 teeth off on the cam belt sprocket (saw it on someones car) without interference so 1.4 degrees is pretty safe. I think a more sensible way to do it would be to just try different positions on the cam sprocket and do dyno pulls. Don't waste your time with that dial indicator crap.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Smile

Thanks John, The dial indicators are the best way to get the cams at the exact spot the fact. wants them. You can feel the difference when not done correctly. I work in an high end import shop so I understand that not everyone has the tools to do it right. Truth be told if you mark EVERYTHING and put it back to the same spot you will most likely be OK. But you are assuming the past work was done right as well?? Some people never know if it is really off? I found my answer from a raceshop in Florida. You can change the lobe separation angle and squeeze some more out of the engine but they did not see any noticeable difference on the dyno with the stock gear in advance or retard. It would seem thst Porsche has it set for the best of both with the stock set up. Thanks again for your reply

Rusty
Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd look at this site.
They sell aftermarket Cams and have great information on how to set the timing.
Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts
They have a viedo and sell the timing guages.

Regards

Jim
1987 924S with 968 Drive front to back, Bilstein Insert on mod/stock Struts, 450# Hypercoils, 28mm Torsion Bars, Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars, Lindsey 968 Light flywheel, Spec Stage II Clutch, ToYO RA1's, Auto Power Cage & 6 pt Harness, KLA Strut Brace, Greasy hands, heavy foot, and lots of smiles
Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This is not a reply but an inquiry of my own on what could be a similar topic: my 1991 S2 is having a "ticking" noise that I would attribute to the valve(s) making noise. As rev increase the frequency of the noise also increases but it does not get any louder just faster. Then at higher RPM the described above noise is less obvious, or not as easy to hear, as the overall sound of the engine over-power the above described "valve noise". My question to you guys is: Are 944 16v engine valve adjustable...? If so could you point me to where I can find that procedure. Thanks in advance, I would continue doing research and post my findings accordingly.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No, the 16v and 8v 944 uses hydraulic tappets (lifters) which fill with oil to adjust for valvetrain wear. You cannot adjust them like some motorcycle engines or an old Z28. If you have valvetrain noise you might have a stuck lifter and some people have been known to clear them up with Riselone or other oil treatments. In some cases a bad lifter needs to be replaced, which requires removal of the cam(s). Sometimes a lifter can be cleaned and will pump up again, sometimes they are blown and never hold oil pressure again.

Ticking could also be injectors, they are quite loud in these motors.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Jfrahm and thank you for your response. Could you point me to DIY video or instruction on how to do the valve rework/clean up...?

Also below find quick video I shoot today of the car start up and idle hoping it offer further clarification of the describe symptoms.

http://youtu.be/gUu4eNXGF7A
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

968 Cam timing

I did some research on the subject when I had my 968 cams repaired. Spec is for the intake valve to be .015" open at TDC. I set mine at .020" based on some recommendations. It is a track car only.
Didn't really notice any difference but had the car dynoed to check if it was working ok. Result was 258 Hp / 225 ft-lbs at the wheels, using 93-94 octane fuel. Shop said the car was making good power so I was happy with the settings. Not sure if the S2 is exactly the same or not.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contadino View Post
I did some research on the subject when I had my 968 cams repaired. Spec is for the intake valve to be .015" open at TDC. I set mine at .020" based on some recommendations. It is a track car only.
Didn't really notice any difference but had the car dynoed to check if it was working ok. Result was 258 Hp / 225 ft-lbs at the wheels, using 93-94 octane fuel. Shop said the car was making good power so I was happy with the settings. Not sure if the S2 is exactly the same or not.
special cams, a chip, some other work done?
factory spec is 234hp at the crank.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Standard cams, car has a chip, the cold air intake mod, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contadino View Post
Didn't really notice any difference but had the car dynoed to check if it was working ok. Result was 258 Hp / 225 ft-lbs at the wheels, using 93-94 octane fuel. Shop said the car was making good power so I was happy with the settings.

Contadino: I hope youre still around as Im about to time my 968s cams. If you got that power using the stock cams and your other simple mods, I cannot wait to see how my car will turn out once I button her up! So you measured the .020 at the cylinder 1 intake cam follower, per the factory manual? Would you mind telling where you learned this hot tip from? Thanks
Old 09-08-2018, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi, it has been while while since I did that but I had talked to a shop that repaired cams. It might be the one referenced a few messages back. I did my own work and brought it to a local 944 expert shop to dyno test it and optimize the fuel pressure regulator. I figured that I could readjust if the power was low. But it turned out to have very good power so I never touched the timing again.

QUOTE=nyc951;10173470]Contadino: I hope youre still around as Im about to time my 968s cams. If you got that power using the stock cams and your other simple mods, I cannot wait to see how my car will turn out once I button her up! So you measured the .020 at the cylinder 1 intake cam follower, per the factory manual? Would you mind telling where you learned this hot tip from? Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 09-08-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: