Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I jacked something up

Just got done installing a new lifter, had one go bad a few weeks ago. After assembling everything back together and double checking all my p's and q's the engine is not firing. My first impression was timing, I can hear 1 to 2 cylinders firing while I crank the engine. But I made sure timing was not changed during the lifter transplant, but I guess there is a chance. Other than that my only other idea was something with the injectors or fuel rail due to the fact the injectors were unplugged at the start of the lifter transplant. Any Ideas............ If you have questions about any other areas that were touched during the work just ask. Thanks for reading!!

Last edited by nein44; 02-27-2010 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

did you check the timing before you started the engine? ie. Did marks at the cam, and flywheel lineup.

Are you getting spark, and fuel on all four cylinders?

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

When you began, did you set the crankshaft to TDC?
When you put the cam housing back on, did you have the cam shaft gear "notch" aligned with the housing mark?

Is the cam belt properly tensioned?

IF yes...
Do you have the injector harness connectors on the correct injector?

Did you maybe break/bend an internal pin on the injector connectors?

Did you use new injector "O" ring seals?

Do you see the tach needle bounce 1/16" when the key is in the "start" position?

The battery connections, are they tight? Especially the small wires.

How is the oil pressure when you try to start? Does it come up at all with starter engaged?

I am out of suggestions for now

GL
John_AZ
Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
When you began, did you set the crankshaft to TDC?
When you put the cam housing back on, did you have the cam shaft gear "notch" aligned with the housing mark?

Is the cam belt properly tensioned?

IF yes...
Do you have the injector harness connectors on the correct injector?

Did you maybe break/bend an internal pin on the injector connectors?

Did you use new injector "O" ring seals?

Do you see the tach needle bounce 1/16" when the key is in the "start" position?

The battery connections, are they tight? Especially the small wires.

How is the oil pressure when you try to start? Does it come up at all with starter engaged?

I am out of suggestions for now

GL
John_AZ

yep, what John said too.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

John AZ- Cam is good to go, crank was not at TDC. I did not use new O rings on the injectors and will be pulling them tomorrow to re-inspect and make sure they are seated properly as well as the connectors so I can hopefully start to narrow this down. I did not notice a bounce in the tach but I was also not looking for one I will take note of that as well. Battery connections are tight, but I will be checking that tomorrow again. and oil pressure went up to 5 during cranking. Thanks for the suggestions, I will report back for better or worse tomorrow night. Thank you guys!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

This can't be pretty. Just from what I read, I'd guess you have a few bent valves. It's an interference motor, pistons whack valves when the timing is off.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Do a compression check if you can before anything else.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
If the piston #1 was not at top dead center when you pulled it apart, then the cam wasn't line up either.....
So when you put it back together and lined up the cam (and didn't have piston #1 at tdc) then you have the cam timing way off which could be a big problem as was mentioned above, especiallyif you cranked the engine.
I would turn the engine by hand and listen carefully before you crank it again and listen for interference.
Line up the crank so #1 is at tdc and take it apart.....
There's a chance the cam could be 180 degrees out, or that the valves didn't hit the pistons......but I absolutely wouldn't crank it again until you know the cam/crank are lines up properly.
Good luck.....
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Set the crank to the "OT" Mark, and look at how many teeth the cam is off by. If it's one or two I wouldn't be too worried. Try setting the timing then doing a compression check. That will tell you if you have bent valves or not.

Like John said try cleaning the terminals, If they are dirty looking, or have rust clean them a little with some sand paper, or a wire brush.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

OK, so today I double checked the timing, set the crank to TDC and the cam was only one "tooth" off the mark. I did have two injectors that were not properly seated, fixed that and also checked all the connectors. Problem still persists. Compression check to come next, I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for the tips!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Your really lucky that it's only off by a tooth. When you turn her over can you hear it trying to start, like is it trying to catching but not fully starting, or is it just cranking over? Look for the tach bounce when you turn her over as well.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fire , injector , spark , start , timing