Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman944 View Post
hey guys, what would be the steps to get my intake manifold look red like that? never done this before

and camshaft housing?

I have all these off for cylinder head job right now, and it would be nice to get the engine bay cleaned out a little bit

I was also thinking of red silicone coolant and vacuum hoses

could be too much red? lol
Why don't you ask (porsche na-t) is doing his in red take a look on the first page of this tread, his not finish but it look beautiful up to now.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

yeah I see they are all so beautiful, but I don't know a local powdercoater, if there even is one
Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Porsche Enthusiast

Garage
search on craigslist in your area for powder coating. thats how i found my guy. it cost me couple hundred but was well worth it. i also got alot of little peices done to. makes it soooo much easier to keep clean.

thanks for the generous comment.....work in progress
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman944 View Post
hey guys, what would be the steps to get my intake manifold look red like that? never done this before

and camshaft housing?

I have all these off for cylinder head job right now, and it would be nice to get the engine bay cleaned out a little bit

I was also thinking of red silicone coolant and vacuum hoses

could be too much red? lol
Probably too much red. But you should start off by ordering a new intake manifold gasket and valve cover gasket for when you need to put them back on. Simply mask off the areas you don't want paint on and spray away. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to paint a valvecover and manifold.

Here is the cover off my S2.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeshftPatriot View Post
Simply mask off the areas you don't want paint on and spray away. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to paint a valvecover and manifold.
Did you really just recommend paint in a thread about powder coating?????????
Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I am going to start painting my engine this weekend before assembly. I am painting because I'm just trying to clean it up a little, not do a pro job for $$$. $15 invested so far. I might have 25 cents in paper towels when its all said and done.

Spraying headers and intake "aluminum" color header paint. I have engine paint very close to the stock navy blue paint color. I plan on spraying the cam housing with the blue, then sanding and polishing the raised parts to mirror finish.

What else should I paint besides the headers, intake, and cam housing? 1983 944.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
definitely dont paint the exhaust header lol

Whats the difference between paint and powder coat?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
Whats the difference between paint and powder coat?
According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin." The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as "whiteware", aluminium extrusions, and automobile and bicycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods.
Powder coat is much more durable and scratch resistant than paint. It will hold up to the engine bay environment much better than paint. It is far more chemical resistant than paint (spilled brake fluid and gasoline won't bother it unlike conventional paint that would be ruined). It sprays on as a dry powder then gets heated in an oven to 400 degrees to cure.

These (944s) manifolds were originally powder coated which is why it took so much effort to clean them down to bare metal. Had they originally been painted it would have been MUCH easier.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
has anyone ever powdercoated their whole car? that would be cool
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
has anyone ever powdercoated their whole car? that would be cool
Yep. Here's an interesting read: OEM Automotive Powder Coatings - Feature Articles - Paint and Coatings Industry
1983 Audi Ur-Quattro (20vt swap in progress)
2010 VW Touareg TDI (DD, tow rig)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

how much did you guys clean the intake manifold to?

I used a wire brush and a drill, and its nice and shiney right now, but I'm not sure how much further to go

its clean for the most part; used kerosine to wash off some of the dirt

whats next? I was going to go to Autozone or something and get some paint from them

I'm on the fence, I want to do either bronze/gold color, or go red - my car is red too

and, how did you guys do the cam housing? did you remove the lifters and camshaft? or maybe I can put a board underneath or something ...

good side project while I wait for some of the parts!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie9944 View Post
Endat if you want to do it yourself there is paint out there call "Dupli-Color METALCAST" it's an Anodized surface colour system paint ,it come in all kind of colour including cold it is a heat & oil resistant paint & very durable There is a way to apply this paint so you'll get the desire hue, work real good on alluminum.As you can see I did the spark-plugs shroud & rad cap on my 968 but in charcoal grey.
roman944____ if you use paint you can go with the one mention above if interested I'll PM you the way to apply it.Also use the same paint to do some detailing in my 944 engine bay but using (RED)
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I got the cam sprocket covers done yesterday. Wrinkle black outside with gloss black inside and on the mating surfaces.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Ernie - more info is always welcome

I looked on Autozone website and they have things like chevy red-orange, chrysler red, ford red - engine paint/enamel - think I'll go with that; since the powdercoater has fallen off the face of the earth

my big deal is though, how should it look before I bomb it with spray paint? anyone have a pic? should I treat it with anything before spray bombing it? my dad said acetone might be a good idea - or is that not needed with these paints?

also, you guys that did your cam cover and cam gear cover - did you take out the lifters and the camshaft? or just flipped it over on a flat surface?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

so I got mine painted; it came out pretty good, except for the back area - where the stamp mark is etc - that's where paint seems to have a hard time "sticking"

so I was going to ask if any of you guys used primer or anything?

I got that Ford Red engine paint that was mentioned - and its a GREAT color, though I think this will be too much red for the engine compartment, so I was thinking of redoing this thing in either silver-wheel type, or bronze/gold (and bronze/gold is winning!)
Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

u can use acid etch primer to get better paint adhesion. u should do proper prep on the piece in question. wire brush it clean to get rid of all corrosion, then degrease it, hell even brake cleaner it. then primer, then paint.

u never want to go single color. accentuate with constrasting colors do something that matches body paint color, then do a opposite color for the highlight. maybe a 3rd if u want something else to pop. but i'd prob max out at 3 colors
Old 04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

hah, yeah I figure I'll do it over tomorrow - plan was to look for primer and see what they have, and get different paint

I like this red, its nice, but with everything else red, I think I'd like it a little different
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Finishing mine up. Went dark blue (car is Copenhagen Blue) with aluminum colored accents. On the cam, I polished up the Porsche logo and the lines above and below as well as the fake bolts. I used a 180 grit mounted on the drill to get the logo flat then used all the way up to 1000 grit by hand before painting. Hit it with 1000 grit again as the paint was dry but not yet cured. Finished it off with 30 min on the power ball.

You can see the fake bolt heads shine a lot more, I put those on the buffer wheel. IMO mother's polish is not that great, its a step below where you want to be. I use Mibro compound #6 on the buffer, I might try getting some on the power ball and seeing how well that works. Hopefully this doesn't just speed paint chipping up because it looks pretty damn good right now.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

I ended up painting mine in "gold" color, intake manifold. cam housing, and crank gear cover, I'll try to get some pics

not sure what I want to do with the letters though
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

So here's my "gold" stuff. Used high heat paint and primer. I know crank gear cover has gasket in it, I'll remove it. Yeah I painted right over those plugs. I'm on the fence of what to do with letters. I think they would look great in black with black "plugs" on the cam housing.
I cleaned all the parts even more then the first 2 pics of the intake manifold, to the point where there were no black marks anywhere and the parts were completely clean/shiny. That pic is just for "reference" if you will.
Will see how well/long this holds up.

Pics:

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: