Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Proprietoristicly Refined

ADPerformance,

If you notch the bell housing for easier removal in the future, you will develop electro-magnetic interference with the reference sensors caused by the starter.

The symptoms will be when you start the car and get a slight to serious "kick-back".

Small high torque starters are the biggest problems. The old fat starters seem to have less interference.

Old post with TSB:
S2 and 968 speed reference sensor question

J_AZ
Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I did take out all the bolts from the plate that holds the sensors in an attempt to get it out that way, but I had no luck. It wiggles but doesn't come out. I think that was my "Plan Y" lol.
read the link above and in that it notes there is a pin on the bracket that will prevent pulling the bracket.

well.... got everything off Saturday. will attack the pilot bearing and RMS this coming weekend.

had a couple challenges.

I had to pull the heater control valve hose off the block to get to the top bell housing bolt and the ground. mine is a 951.

the PO had used all 6 point cheese head bolts but one. that was a 12 point and I did not notice before stripping with the 6 point bit. tried the 12 point but too much damage. drilled out easy enough.

found the problem with my clutch. all the rivets were gone that hold the clutch facing plates to the center, metal plate.

good luck.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I just did a transaxle swap on a 944 race car this weekend and thought I'd throw in a tip or two to the excellent original post.

Regarding step 5, I found the shift coupler that mates the two splined shafts to be my biggest challenge. First you have to rotate the shaft (and the engine) to get the two 8 mm hex head bolts to line up in the access holes. To do this, I used a 24mm socket on the front crank pulley of the engine to rotate it by hand. It helps to have a second person do this while you watch it to line up at the transaxle. Then loosen the first bolt without removing it completely, then rotate the shaft 180 degrees and remove the second hex bolt. Then rotate it back to remove the first hex bolt completely. The threads of these bolts get messed up easily and this helps prevent that. When reinstalling it is critical to not tighten the first hex bolt before starting the second hex bolt. These bolts strip very easily and if you tighten the first bolt before starting to the second, you cannot adjust the position of the coupler on the splines to get the second bolt lined up right without risking damaging the threads. Once they are both lined up and started by hand with no binding, tighten them to spec. If you feel any binding, pull it out and try again.
1976 Triumph TR6
1987 944 SP1 race car
Old 04-05-2015, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Alternative for rotating the drive shaft: put the car in gear and have an assistant depress the clutch, turn one wheel while holding the other.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 04-05-2015, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

This direction is spot on. Haynes manual had me convinced the trans would come out with cross bar removed from body. Not so. Remove the bolts and it slides right out. Easy. Hope it goes back in easy.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: