Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Transmission removal made easy- been gone for awhile- thought I'd post

Here is a quick overview of the transmission removal and install - Trust me is VERY EASY but a transmission jack is helpful. I have done it in a gravel drive with no jack and in the garage with music playing and all the right eq- you decide your level of aggravation...

1- Find a plasma torch- kidding- jack and secure the car on stands or ramps. -

2- Undo the shafts at the transmission and suspend the CV and shafts. No need to take them off- I use speed wire to hold them high

3- Disconnect the connector for the reverse light switch- easy to see and find its in the bottom pic to the left of the transmission mount.

4- Push the shift rod bellows to the rear and unscrew clamping screw. Dissconnect teh shift rod from the intermediate lever.

5- Pull the dust plate and rotate the torque tube to access the Allen bolts of the clamping tube- remove the bolts- PUSH THE SLEEVE TOWARDS THE TRANSMISSION until it clears the shaft. Not towards the engine..You can use and extension and a swivel to make it easier.-- SEE TOP PICTURE BELOW

6- Block or suspend the torque tube

7- Position the Trans jack or floor jack and remove the transmission mount bolts SEE BOTTOM PIC ABOVE

8- Remove the transmission / central tube bolts

9- Pull the transmission to the rear and lower and done!!!!

Simple enough- install torques are Trans to tube for the M12 its 63ftlb, the M10 is 31 ft-lb, the Shift rod is 15ftlbs, the mount is 17ftlbs and the drive shaft bolts 31 ft-lb..

Good luck, its easy enough- Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

MORE ! MORE!

What if I forget to replace the black plastic shift rod dust tube?

Do I use the plasma torch when I strip the coupler bolts?

My friend says I have to cut the spare tire wheel well out so the transaxle will clear.

I usually do not use a floor jack. I just lay under the transaxle and let it fall on my belly. I install it in the same way, but I have to arch my back to lift it.

Seriously,

Thanks for the Cliff Notes version .

John_AZ
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
LOL

You don't need to cut the spare tire well out. Although, a slight modification does help. A well placed blow with baby sledge hammer will customize it nicely. Just don't do it while the car's on jackstands.

If you have a late 944 and have the single tranny mount on top, it's easier to take the cross member / brace (I can't think of the propper name at the moment. it's black, about 2 ft long, bolts on the end).

Welcome back Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
LOL

A well placed blow with baby sledge hammer will customize it nicely.
My 924S has been customized in such a manor. I'm sure my 951S will also join the club, when clutch time comes, if it hasn't already.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Barbarians.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A transmission jack is even handier -- so much so, I thnk I'd call it a must. Particularly when getting things lined up to go back in.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Automotive Necromancer

Send a message via Skype™ to SolReaver
helpful hints

yes, slide the torque tube BEFORE unbolting the transmission, or else it gets all bound up and becomes a major pain. While on the subject...there IS a little hole in the bottom of the transmission that accepts the shaft of a standard jack if you remove the standard cup. This would be a good time to clean and inspect the CV's and replace the triple squares if they look bad. I wrap the CVs in something protective while the tranny is out and hang them up to keep them out of the way. ALways replace the shift linkage bolt with a new one and remember to torque it properly and wire it soundly.
There may be nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Porsche: Ruby Red 84 928S : White 87 924s 2.5L NA (Blinky) M44/07-43H10676 spoiler delete - 046/2B - Belts 9/12, Clutch and OC seals 8/08 : Black 94 Jag XJ12 (Madam Jaguar) and Red 94 Del Sol: Please put your Make, Model and Year in Sig. Try not to break more than you fix.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
I think I have finally found the answer to why there is a big hole cut in the spare tire well of my latest 85.5/944 - I took a piece of 10"x 10"x 1/8" aluminum and then with silicone and screws patched over the hole - That could have been a modification made by Porsche at factory for ease of replacement - hind sight is 20/20 always.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
The only reason for the hole is to access the clutch without dropping the tranny. As pointed out, the tranny drop is quite easy, so I don't really understand the hole.

But, to each his own (sawzall).

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
MORE ! MORE!

What if I forget to replace the black plastic shift rod dust tube?

Do I use the plasma torch when I strip the coupler bolts?

My friend says I have to cut the spare tire wheel well out so the transaxle will clear.

I usually do not use a floor jack. I just lay under the transaxle and let it fall on my belly. I install it in the same way, but I have to arch my back to lift it.

Seriously,

Thanks for the Cliff Notes version .

John_AZ
Thanks all-

Some notes- To respond................

1- You actually still have the dust tube? LOL
2- Drilling out the bolt headss works just fine....then hammer like hell with a punch.
3- You do have to beat or cut the spare well ONLY if you slide the coupler toward the front of the car. It does not slide enough to provide the clearence to drop otherwise. AND it seems natural to slide it towards the torque tube, Guesss how I know.
4- I have pulled the floor jack and out of total frustration shook and almost bench pressed the car trying to get it out when I made mistake number three. It finally came crashing down- I did use a trans jack to get it back in though ( still sore )

Cheers guys- glad to be back.... Mike
Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolReaver View Post
yes, slide the torque tube BEFORE unbolting the transmission, or else it gets all bound up and becomes a major pain. While on the subject...there IS a little hole in the bottom of the transmission that accepts the shaft of a standard jack if you remove the standard cup. This would be a good time to clean and inspect the CV's and replace the triple squares if they look bad. I wrap the CVs in something protective while the tranny is out and hang them up to keep them out of the way. ALways replace the shift linkage bolt with a new one and remember to torque it properly and wire it soundly.

+1-all good advice. If it is stubborn a good crow bar works well. I have also had to spread the spline with a screwdriver then pry....

CVs - its a good time to do some maintenance---- Mike
Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Send a message via Skype™ to SolReaver
Holy Porshe Batman!

I briefly considered chopping the wheelwell and even found some good lines to go by. However, I was convinced by others on this forum not to. AFTER doing the job (the right way) I can tell you that dropping the transmission is the way to go. My reasons are as follows: 1) repairing the hole in the wheel well is a pain and looks freakish at best. Not that it is really a big deal, the wheelwell is only used for holding the Ftarded econo spare 2) the torque tube needs to be ROTATED before it slides back, otherwise it gets hung up on the little wedges that are designed to hold it in place in case of an accident. (I THINK that is what they are for ) and so the whole prop shaft tranny assembly does not slide back even IF you had the room by hacking the wheel well. 3) you want as much room as possible at the engine bell housing and even if the TT slid back (which it doesn't) you are not going to have the kind of room you get by disconnecting and removing the tranny and sliding the rotated tube all the way. 4) how on earth are you going to support the transmission, unless you lay it in the wheelwell? and wouldn't you have to D/C the linkage and CVs anyway?

Anyway, that is my thinking. I am not perfect. My wheel well has a slight dimple that I don't loose sleep over and I have a clutch that I do not intend to work on any time soon as it should have another 100K or ten years with any luck. Anyone who has done the clutch by way of cutting apart the wheel well, feel free to chime in and tell me what a great idea it is.
There may be nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Porsche: Ruby Red 84 928S : White 87 924s 2.5L NA (Blinky) M44/07-43H10676 spoiler delete - 046/2B - Belts 9/12, Clutch and OC seals 8/08 : Black 94 Jag XJ12 (Madam Jaguar) and Red 94 Del Sol: Please put your Make, Model and Year in Sig. Try not to break more than you fix.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: