Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Window keeps falling off track

Hi.
I've got my driver's door trim off and i see the scissors that the motor uses to bring the window up and down won't stay in the rail that's attached to the bottom of the window. I've taken the PW motor bolts off and am able to secure the scissor mechanism back in the window rails, but as soon as i test it by lowering the window, the scissors come out of the left side if the window rails. what gives? How can i get the scissors to stay in the center of the window rails?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Hello,

Most likely the roller buttons on the end of the lifting arms need replacing. If they are loose or otherwise broken in some fashion they will not track properly.

Another cause may be alignment of the whole lifting assembly - When installing the complete scissors type assembly, with motor mounted to the assembly, tighten the several screws (I think I remember there were 12 or so - no quotes here as there may be more of less, it's been awhile) that hold the entire assembly to the interior door only hand snug. With the window switch run the window up all the way and make sure the window tracks straight. If all is good tighten all of the screws to final torque. Then run the window through several up's and down's if all is well it's good to go. If not start over by loosening the screws re-align the complete system and run window up once more, etc.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello, Cocaolakid gives great advice. I found an old post of his and it might give more info. Check it out. Found another post that might help.

Door window motor replacement..

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/128655-cant-get-pass-door-window-installed.html?highlight=944+window+track

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandad#3; 04-12-2010 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: add
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hmmm. that whole window assembly doesn't seem to be adjustable. i'll have to look again but it seemed to me that it just bolts on 1 way with little to no wiggle room.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
You are correct that it doesn't look like much wiggle room - but if you take into account of 1/8" up here and 1/8" down there then multiply that by the length of the arms there is room for error - With these silly windows it doesn't take much sometimes.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the reply cocacolakid.
i'm starting to lose it with this one. i've got 3+ hours into this problem and almost broke the window (twice). i can't believe it didn't break after it fell one time. anyway...
i've tried adjusting it every which way and when i lower the window about 5" the scissors-arm comes out the left side of the left window rail. I took pics to show what I'm talking about. At this point, I just have no idea how to fix it.

In the first pic, the window is all the way up. In the 2nd and 3rd pics i lowered the window about 5" and you can see that the arm is just about to slide out of the window rail. if i lower it anymore, it will.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage Helper

Garage
I can see your dilemma there - hummm.

Had to go out to the garage where I have an 85.5 in restoration process and it's door panels are off.

There are two adjustment screws for the arms themselves, and one will be located in the large opening on the door shell about 1" back from the rt. side ctr of the opening, the other is inside a smaller oval 45* opening above the large opening (1 1/4" x 3/4" oval ~ approx). Both of these screws are an Allen head cap screw - and accessed with an Allen wrench - of course.

These two may take some fiddling with to get all just right - but this may be part of the problem...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
OK. Yup... I know the screws you are talking about. I'll try that later tonight or tomorrow. Do you know if I need to remove the arms from the window to make the adjustments? Probably. I guess I'll find out later. The thought of fighting to get those arms back in the window rails again makes me cringe.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
I do not think one can easly make those adjustments when the arms are removed from the window tracks - all inside the door is easier.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
well, i fixed it. and it was something I never expected. i removed the glass from the door and noticed that both tracks on the bottom of the window were kinda far to the right. Those 2 tracks are glued to a metal piece that is glued across the bottom of the whole window. Over time, that metal track must have crept to the right every time the window went down and up. So I had to use a heat gun to warm the glue and then you a rubber mallet to bang that whole piece back to the left where it belongs. Yeah, imagine my trepidation taking a hammer to a window without breaking it.
Anyway, i was able to move it back where it belongs and i re glued the ends. Put it back in and it works fine now. So it had nothing to do with the lifting assemble. Go figure.
BTW - those adjustment screws we were talking about earlier, they are just used to adjust the stoppers for when the window is full up or full down.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Well if it doesn't work the first time get a bigger hammer.

Were you nervous while heating and hammering on the glass ? We may now call you "Shaky", ha ha.

Thanks for the information on the Allen screws - I knew that was the only normal thing left - but a different function, huh.

Very glad to hear that it is fixed - and a tad bit more information on how to fix our cars...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I was certainly trying not to break the window, but I was thinking, hey, if it breaks, I've got full glass coverage through my insurance... let them fix it!!
But fortunately it didn't break and the window went back in easier than it did coming out. The only thing is, for anyone who wants to attempt this... it really is a 2-man job. Fortunately, my dad was here today to give me a hand. My dad kept applying the heat while I banged away with the mallet. It's also good to have more hands available when putting the glass in and getting the lifting arms back in the tracks...What took me 2 hours the other day to do I did in 5 minutes with his help.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
935Sculpter

Garage
i have a similar problem with my 87 944. i can't seem to get the plastic rollers on the tracks, everything works motor and arm wise, i'm just wondering if there is a certain way the window is supposed to go back in front/back angle?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

1988 944 Turbo, Driver Door Window Track fell off

I also had issues with my window track moving to one side and it got so bad it actually fell off the glass down into the door. How the window stayed in place after that, I don't know...
Anyway I'm looking for some measurements if anyone can tell me where the track belongs from either end of the window so I can glue it back on before reinstalling the glass into the door.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I had the same issues with my 88 924 S and my son & I took the window out and bend the bottom frame track enough to work. So far so good lol...
Old 11-12-2017, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: