Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Brake Pad and Tire Recommendations

Hey all - I've been somewhat less "in the loop" when it comes to Porsches over the past year or so... well, it's time for new brake pads and new tires, and I was wondering if you had any particular recommendations.

For the pads, I'm looking for something with good street performance - a somewhat aggressive pad - but don't need an all-out racing pad. It seems that there is a wide price range for Porsche brake pads, which makes it difficult to navigate.

For the tires, I think I might just replace the rears - the front still have tons of tread left on them, but the rears are nearly bald. I am running 255/16, that much is certain, with a 50 sidewall (I think) in the rear. This seems like a pretty common size on 951s. Do you have any particular tire models I should try? The car is only driven in nice weather, with occasional driving in rain (only when necessary). No snow.

Thanks in advance!
Black 2007 Porsche Cayman S (snappy nickname coming soon): Daily Driver (at least until winter!). Garnet Red 1986 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"/"Suicide Machine"):SOLD. Dark Silver 2009 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"):SOLD. Alpine White 1983 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf") :SOLD. Guards Red 1984 Porsche 944 :One-time parts car, SOLD.

Last edited by CJFusco; 05-07-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Porterfield R4S pads are probably the best performance street pad around. Relatively no noise and dust is not too bad. You can get them through Stable Energies, probably overnight shipping also as you are pretty close to them (they are in NNJ).
Jon - MetroNY PCA #848
1987 Zermatt Silver 924S..'The Kraut Burner' - Sold in Nov. '04
1987 Guards Red 944..'The Bratwurst Burner' - Low and Slow..Sold in Jan. '08
1988 Guards Red 944 Turbo..'Das Boost' - Powered by 5.7L LS1
1997 Arctic Silver BMW E36 M3
Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Over 26 years I've try all kind of brake pads on my 944 the best result that I had was with( PBR DELUXE PLUS higth performance) for street & spirit driving they have good stopping power / no squeal & produce minimum dust witch is a + if you got a nice set of wheels & are decently price,as far as tires we had quiet a tread going on here about all brands of tires including pics of them try to find it it will give you all infos needed about tires I'm not good at linking maybe someone else can link this tire tread for you .
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
I've done the PBR pads before, and they were okay. Done the MetalMasters, too; I liked the PBRs more. The PBRs and MetalMasters are relatively cheap - $30 or thereabouts - but the Porterfields, Pagids, etc. usually are in the $80-150 range. Is there that much of a performance difference? Would I notice a difference going to Porterfields from PBRs?
Black 2007 Porsche Cayman S (snappy nickname coming soon): Daily Driver (at least until winter!). Garnet Red 1986 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"/"Suicide Machine"):SOLD. Dark Silver 2009 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"):SOLD. Alpine White 1983 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf") :SOLD. Guards Red 1984 Porsche 944 :One-time parts car, SOLD.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
I've recently run the PBR Ult pads. Immense stopping power, but quite dusty & noisy.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

having now tried many different pads, including metal masters (of whom i was a huge fan for 20 years), i have landed on the porterfield R4-S for street use - unlike the metal master and many other harder pads, it has no cold stop issues - very manageable dust (a different compound that is easier to wipe off) and no noise - i have gotten over 25k out of the ones on the 968, and they are only now getting to the halfway point - i got over 50k out of the ones on the denali, with ZERO rotor wear

you can buy them direct from porterfield, as well as a number of distributors, some of whom actually sell them for less than porterfield
Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Just snagged a set for my 931, looking forward to avoiding cleaning wheels every 5 minutes.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
The Porterfield R4-S is a very good street pad. I think they are about $100 through Stable Energies. They are very popular with the auto-x crowd as they work very well even when cold. They are also very easy on the rotors. I have used them on the track before and they will hold for about half of a 20 minute session but start to overheat after that. For a beginner though they should hold up fine. When i still did auto-x they were great though.

The Metal Masters are nothing special in my opinion, more of a typical everyday type pad. Will you notice a difference? Maybe, its hard to say and is probably subjective.. but its all i will ever get again if i need street pads. I personally moved up to the Porterfield R4 as my car is mostly track now.
Jon - MetroNY PCA #848
1987 Zermatt Silver 924S..'The Kraut Burner' - Sold in Nov. '04
1987 Guards Red 944..'The Bratwurst Burner' - Low and Slow..Sold in Jan. '08
1988 Guards Red 944 Turbo..'Das Boost' - Powered by 5.7L LS1
1997 Arctic Silver BMW E36 M3
Old 05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

using the 968 for comparison, porterfield sells them direct for $86 per set (one end of the car) - very nearly the same as stable energies at $84.55

i think livermore performance sells them for $76 a set

shipping will factor in here though, as both porterfield and livermore are on the west coast
Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Tires - when's the last time you put tires on the car? Plenty of tread doesn't mean they aren't old and ready to fail. just something to consider. Rubber dries out, hardens and becomes more rock like. This will affect handling, ride comfort and, importantly, BRAKING performance.

225/50-16s are a popular size in a variety of performance ratings (from snow to racing applications)
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yup - check the DOT markings - if they are more than 6 years old, replace them regardless of tread
Old 05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Fronts are about 4 years old, maybe a little less - they were replaced as a stipulation when I bought the car in 2006 (I can't believe it's been that long!!).

As for the brakes, I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Porterfields. I DID notice that the MetalMasters I have on the car now take a little while to warm up; I figured it was just a consequence of going with performance pads... I like hearing that the Porterfields work well when cold. This might be the factor that tips the scales in their direction.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
I put Hawk HP pads on mine. Hold up nicely on the track...but there's tons of noise. But it's not all bad. It's another reason for people to look at my car. And wince.

The dust I can't comment on; Fuchs wheels kind of hide the block and hide the dust.

I might try Porterfields next, but I don't think they'll hold up with my track use too well.

Tires? There's tons of options out there, but if you're pure summer, the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1's are REALLY nice, and they're not that expensive. The Bridgestone RE11R is a pretty nice tire, but it's more expensive as well. Not sure about all-seasons, I never run them.

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Tires - when's the last time you put tires on the car? Plenty of tread doesn't mean they aren't old and ready to fail. just something to consider. Rubber dries out, hardens and becomes more rock like. This will affect handling, ride comfort and, importantly, BRAKING performance.

225/50-16s are a popular size in a variety of performance ratings (from snow to racing applications)
Exactly as stated by "racer". My old tires had plenty of tread. It was only when I checked the date code that I found out how old they were. They were noisy and rough riding. The cars good handling hid the poor traction until I really needed it. No damage done but it got me to wondering. I replaced the old Yokohama tires a year ago with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS. WOW what a difference. Smooth and quiet. Plus the tires have handling limits that are beyond what I care to investigate on the street. Punching the loud pedal in first gear with the old tires would usually result in tire spin. These hold very well. They are most excellent in the rain as I did have to drive home from up north in the wet. There are lots of choices out there. I got just what I wanted which was smooth and quiet and good grip. BTW The last quarter mile to the lake is on gravel and they do pick up rocks. It takes a couple miles at lower speed to clean them out.
My two cents................
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: