Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fender-mounted intake hose(s) fell off! What to do?

The fender-mounted intake hose(s) in my N/A '85.5 were loose and rattling around, and finally I pulled them out.

I'm assuming now that the intake air comes in directly inside the fender hollow area, between the liner and the fender.

Is there a risk of water ingestion with this set-up (I assume that was the point of the maze of hoses)? Should I pull the inlet into the engine bay, and close the hole?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
You will get cooler air for the intake if you replace the rubber grommet/donut at the fender opening and re-install the air intake tube to fender. That was the whole point of the system to allow for cooler outside air instead of under the hood hot air off the motor. The car will still run without the air tube there, just not as well.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The tube from the airbox to the fender wall, and the donut, are still in place.

It's just the two tubes that are embedded in the fender area that are now removed, so it's still getting "cold" air, it just from higher up in the fender area, and it now has a shorter run to the airbox.

I'm just wondering if the longer tube in the fender well served a particular purpose, like making it impossible for water to "climb" up the 18" or so of pipe...

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocacolakidd View Post
You will get cooler air for the intake if you replace the rubber grommet/donut at the fender opening and re-install the air intake tube to fender. That was the whole point of the system to allow for cooler outside air instead of under the hood hot air off the motor. The car will still run without the air tube there, just not as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Yes the inner fender tubes do reduce water splash to the intake, but mostly they are for air supply. The tubes do actually supply more air into the area with the tubes in place, thus reducing air drag (as I call it), or air restriction.

Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: