Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
winter-hater club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaA420 View Post
If anyone else on here needs to replace there damper just put a used 944 spring center clutch in its place. Lots more affordable.
how does that work?

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynor View Post
how does that work?
You take a manual flywheel and bolt it where the auto flywheel was and then put on the clutch(minus throwout bearing) and slide torque tube into pilot bearing. Just like a manual trans except you don't ever push in the clutch. The bellhousing and torque tubes are virtually identical except for where a couple holes were drilled.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
"she" is the car - it IS an automatic afterall, just kidding Vern
yep..she's a she but I ride her hard.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
i've had 2 rubber centres like that -_- no longer a concern now
Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Quote:
You take a manual flywheel and bolt it where the auto flywheel was and then put on the clutch(minus throwout bearing) and slide torque tube into pilot bearing. Just like a manual trans except you don't ever push in the clutch. The bellhousing and torque tubes are virtually identical except for where a couple holes were drilled.
huh.... very cool!

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Two questions:
1 - What changes in terms of gearhifting? I mean is that still an automatic (so nothing changes when I dirve) or becomes and undefined merge btw manual and automatic (so I need to switch gear manually - I don't want!)?
2 - Costs compared to the expansive damper and material, if possible to have a short list of parts to buy and what parts are replaced in the "original"...

thanks in advance
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

All Spooled Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio76 View Post
undefined merge btw manual and automatic (so I need to switch gear manually - I don't want!
1. You not want? No worry - you not get. 2. Likely cheaper, especially if go used. Also, never need worry about having another blowout.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

WaA420 that is a great idea eliminating the rubber damper. Have you heard of any problems using this system?
I just did the same job with my automatic earlier this year and mine looked the same. I used a used one out of parts car I had. I've always thought there had to be a better way than putting a rubber part in the car that transfers all the power in your drive train.
I'm thinking of theory and practice here. The damper is designed to reduce vibrations. Does it do anything else?
Does using the clutch accomplish the vibration control needed?
What about the proper spacing of the torque tube in the damper for movement?
BTW- the chicks in my house don't drive mine too much because even though it has an automatic is doesn't have power steering. They are overcoming the objections however.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I heard replacing rubber damper with a clutch plate will make it whine. To me this seems to be a warning that it could place more stress on the torque tube or engine bearings. I have a manual and an automatic and there is more noise coming from the torque tube shfter area. Don't know if the job in question will whine any worse than the manual. It will save you $5-600 on parts though. For me the labor was the big cost as I don't have a lift or air tools. If it is an around town car I would keep the auto, if it is a highway car I would consider converting to manual to get a taller gear and overdirve.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Not-so Master Mechanic

Garage
Ironic, mine looked just like that when I took it apart!!!! Pain in the butt job but what a difference having a whole damper plate makes while driving!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Not-so Master Mechanic

Garage
???

Quote:
If anyone else on here needs to replace there damper just put a used 944 spring center clutch in its place. Lots more affordable.
Really, a spring center clutch will work????
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
i sure wish that worked on the 968 - unfortunately the things don't fit
you'd need to use a S2 flywheel/disk/PP setup with a 968

Early '85 944
Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: