Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Door handle adjustment

Well, after much swearing, crying and a few scrapes, I managed to adjust my door handle following the process at Clark's Garage : Body-12.

I am stuck and at my wits end. I cannot figure out how to get the white plastic piece from step 3 back on. Does anyone know what exactly it is for? Is it neccesary?

My original problem was that the door would not open from the outside, but would from the inside. Adjusting the linkage did not seem to fix the problem. The only thing I haven't managed to do is get that white plastic piece connected to the two linkages. Would that cause the door not to open from the outside? It locks and unlocks. It has power locks. Is that linkage for manual lock/unlock?

This is driving me absolutely crazy! If it was the passenger door, I would have given up long ago, but it is driver side and a real pain to reach across through the passenger side to open the door.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do a SEARCH and you will draw up past posts of this very problem and hope it was fixed.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
The white piece you refer to is the door lock actuating lever (which locks and unlocks the door with the key from outside); it attatches to the nob at the blue arrow.

There's a corresponding nob in the door mechanism that the bottom of the white piece attatches to. I've found it easiest to attach the white piece first, then attatch the door latch lever.

To get the white piece fitted, I attach it to the handle end first, then press it onto the nob inside the door. It's a real pain, but do-able.

Door latch lever

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
In the last picture above... when my door wouldn't open from the outside, I removed the black part from above from it's connection and just unscrewed it a few turns and my door worked. I did it without removing anything but the door panel.

Robert
Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

dont give up on adjusting the linkage....took me a few tries(4)....mine unscrewed most of the way before it worked...Ive only got about 4 turns engaged.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
one of my small metal pieces on the door handle broke...it pivots the trigger assembly to pull the rod up and down. so instead of it moving the rod, the trigger would pop in and out. had to replace the handle then.
1988 XJ 5in lift,long arms, 4.6 stroker, ax-15 w/ 35s
1995.5 Audi S6 Full RS2 bolt-ons, EFI tuned.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the responses and encouragement everyone. I'll try again on the adjustment. I have power locks, so I'm not going to bother with the white plastic piece, as it doesn't appear to effect my ability to lock and or unlock the doors, which is what my real question was.

Also, for those attempting this in the future, I didn't find removing the panel that useful, other than being able to light the work area from behind. You can access the linkages from the top and from the vent on the bottom of the door. I found a pair of forceps useful.

Last edited by Jordanarendt; 06-09-2010 at 09:49 AM..
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
You better hook up at least one side... Without it you WILL NOT be able to unlock the door with the key... Would suck if your clicker died and you had to break a window...
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. After a few more tries I got the handle adjusted and I can now open the door from the outside! Whoohoo!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Just did both of my door handles - Next time I would rather do a Clutch Job. Took me and my fat fingers two days to remove old, rebuild with new push rods, and reinstall with adjustment on the Push Rods also - It was truly a PITA. But now they are done for another 100K miles hopefully...
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I just finished my driver's side door handle clean and lube, and after the fight with the new seals for the outside handle, I debating whether I want to bother with the other side. That little white clip was the easy part!
I'm also in the process of replacing all the speakers, front and back, the stereo, adding sound deadening, new window seals, detailing and adjusting everything I touch, and a long list of other things....just about job takes a fair amount of time. I keep thinking the Porsche is like a Chinese puzzle. Every piece has to come out in a certain order and you need a special tool or two to get it back together.
2003 F150 Supercrew 4x4
1988 F350 Regular Cab 4x4
Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
I replaced my driver's side door handle last year, but this year my passenger's side handle broke. The actual opening mechanism seems fine; the actual metal piece that you touch and pops it broke. The handle always seemed a little stiff to open.

Can I replace just the metal part and adjust it? Or should I just throw down some dollars and replace the thing?

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Do you mean to replace the finger pull lever ? Yes it comes out with a pin and the lever can be replaced.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

89 944.
left door handle hard to open.

here are my tips and tricks...(may not apply to everyone)

removal of door handle--there is a small cross hatch screw on the side of the door, after you open the door...remove that one screw that holds the door handle in place...do not remove or touch anything else like strikers etc that would not help you fix the handle and may need lots of adjustment to get back into place etc. to remove outer handle may need a rubber hammer to slide handle towards you and out...at this point there is nothing holding it in since you removed that 1 screw.

now you have the outerhandle dangling a bit since its still connected to inside mechanisms. take your time and do not pull or break anything here. i removed my door panel interior becuase i dropped things from the outer slot...but it is not necessary and on my car with auto locks, there is a theft plate blocking my access anyway from the inside...so basically useless to go from the inside door panel unless you drop something in outer slot which i did.

get a piece of dental floss. the purpose of the floss is to have a string to hold the white plastic piece that is snapped on in 2 places. also prevents you from dropping that piece into the cavity of door and aids in reassembly as well.

unsnap the small white plastic piece in 2 places and note orientation.

then get a long stronger thicker screwdriver and unsnap black plastic piece from inner door.

at this point mine has a wire on it due to door locks...others may not.

before the last step...you can remove the cotter pin also before you remove the black plastic snap as well. get a awl and push that small cotter pin out but dont lose that piece.

then the door handle and drop down piece with black plastic should be separated.

do what repairs/replacements you need to do but reassembly needs some specific sequence steps otherwise you will break it or do more damage....its such a tight space.

what i do from here---i set my black plastic piece but i assume i have to rotate it about 180 degrees to its final setting. that black plastic piece given the brass thread can only go on 180 degrees opposite of its final setting. snap that black plastic piece (i heat mine first with heat gun) and a long screwdriver...then i rotate it to get into position.

then i put cotter pin back in....its tricky but can be done.

then i heat up white plastic piece and snap interior down snap first then use floss to bring it over to final snapping place.

its tight as a bugger...but these are the only steps that i found that works for me...and i have broken them rotating them etc so this does work....
Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

^ Good write-up. But removing the door panel and then the anti-theft panel take all of 15 minutes and make life so much easier.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: