Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
83 944 Work In Progress

Garage
Freeze 12 Question

All,

I have been reading about freeze 12. My A/C is almost completely dead but it does try to spit out a bit of cold on occasion. I was thinking about just going with the standard kit first at 45.00 which is 2 cans of Freeze 12, 1 can of Oil, and the can adapter hose. Now, do you all think this will do? They make a larger kit as well or I could even buy another can or two of Freeze 12 or even another can of Oil.

Also, the standard kit does not come with a gauge, but I have one. However, what type of pressure do you want if I do give it a full charge?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Freeze 12 is actually R290, by # designation (it is actually what I use). It is readily available in 1lb "cans", for 2-3 dollars, far cheaper if bought in large bulk containers, but 1lb is exactly the amount you need for 1 full charge. You do need to adapt to fit the valve on the can. And be careful, as the stuff is a true hydrocarbon - very flammable. But it is the best performing refrigerant, in every respect, that there is. You don't need to replace your refrigerant oil, either (but it won't hurt anything, if you do).
Old 06-24-2010, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
All,

I have been reading about freeze 12. My A/C is almost completely dead but it does try to spit out a bit of cold on occasion. I was thinking about just going with the standard kit first at 45.00 which is 2 cans of Freeze 12, 1 can of Oil, and the can adapter hose. Now, do you all think this will do? They make a larger kit as well or I could even buy another can or two of Freeze 12 or even another can of Oil.

Also, the standard kit does not come with a gauge, but I have one. However, what type of pressure do you want if I do give it a full charge?
Another way to look at this......

Earlier link:
Fumes in car? 83' 944

Since your car has a "smelly air maybe fuel smell" combined with the use of Freeze12 which Wild Man noted was extremely flamable................

I can see the realistic potential of a lot of excitement when the combustion potential meets an igniter.

OH, BTW, not a fan of Freeze12

GL

John
Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll be able to comment on this later this week as my order came in today, if it's no good then it's comin out and I'm sticking with r12. Which is roughly the same price for me to get.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
83 944 Work In Progress

Garage
I'm not sure what you all are talking about but the Freeze 12 I have researched is completely non-flammable. That is per the EPA Listing and as advertised on their site. Either way, I'm not going to be lighting matches over my face while I'm installing the Freeze 12 or holding up my lighter in the cabin of my car while the windows are up and spraying Freeze 12 up in the air. Lets be realistic here....
Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What wildman is saying is that R290 is flammable, and it is because it is propane. I don't know if freeze 12 is really R290?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Redline Racer

I've heard Freeze12 is basicly r134 based. It may be a blend. Pressure/temp chart here Freeze-12 Press/Temp Chart. It looks pretty closely between r12 and r134. Well, actually, it does say it's a hydrocarbon. I wish they were more upfront about what it is. How do you get r12 so cheaply. It's like $800 for a 30 lb cylinder.

Last edited by HondaDustR; 06-24-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Maybe that stuff isn't the same as the OZ-12 and HC-12 stuff that I used to use after they took R-12 off of the shelves. After smelling what that stuff smelled like, and lighting a lighter to a stream coming out of the can, I knew beyond any doubt, that it was R-290. That is something that they, of course, didn't want their customers to know, because of the fact that it can be had for far cheaper, through other means, advertized as a different product. After experiencing how well it worked, and how cheap and highly available it was, I never quit using it.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: