Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What did I do this time?

Yesterday the air conditioning was working great... actually today it's still working just fine... it just won't come out of the upper vents.

All I did was remove and clean the ground at the back of the engine. Started it up and turned the air on. you can hear it running, and down by the passenger side foot space there is a fan spinning like crazy... but no air comes from the vents

any thoughts on this one? (I am sorry for being such a pain but everytime I turn around something isn't working and I just don't know why)

As always thank you for your input.

Robert
Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
could it have something to do with the vacuum switch that opens the vents? not too familiar with exactly how the controls operate the vent, but I bet there is something somewhere in this forum if you search for it.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Are the 2 upper slide knobs pushed together? Does the defrost or floor vents work when the knobs are moved around?

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
You likely dislodged the vacuum line for the heater control valve that is located right in that ground area. That would make it so that you would have hot mixing in with your cold.

The ground / vacuum line should not have any effect on your vents, but there is another vacuum line back at the firewall that may have become dislodged that would.

Do a careful inspection and you will likely find the culprit.

Good luck, Keith
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Behind the glove box is the vacuum line that opens and closes the flaps to push the A/C through the vents. It runs through the firewall to a blue/black vacuum solenoid type thing right beside the brake fluid reservoir. something most likely got pinched or disconnected. Start under the hood and trace the vacuum line.

This was probably posted from my phone, so please excuse any typos.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
nightheart,

Thanks!!! I'll check that out in the morning.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Okay I found the point that opens the upper vents... but my hose only goes about 6 inches to a vacuum solenoid.

this isn't the first thing I've found that isn't where other 83 944's are. All my major things are in the right places but several others aren't where people say they are on their cars.

anyhow I did get the air back working on the upper vents. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwebster View Post
Okay I found the point that opens the upper vents... but my hose only goes about 6 inches to a vacuum solenoid.

this isn't the first thing I've found that isn't where other 83 944's are. All my major things are in the right places but several others aren't where people say they are on their cars.

anyhow I did get the air back working on the upper vents. Thanks
Glad its working. I might not have been real clear. The vacuum line should run from the firewall to a vacuum solenoid, and then its splits off in 2 (I think), one of those connections runs to the metal "arms" that open and close to force the AC air through the vents. It's also, if I remember, below the glovebox and not really behind it. Sorry for any confusion, but I did forget about the line running to a solenoid and then to the arms.

This was probably posted from my phone, so please excuse any typos.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: