Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums
  Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Thread Post New Thread    Reply
How Much To Replace A Flywheel On 89 944?

Ok I have the chance to purchase an 1989 944 Automatic it's white and in excellent shape I can get it at a resonable price (below 4k) it needs a new flywheel and I noticed they are about $600. Thats a steep price what I am wondering is around how much labor a project like this usually costs? Is it a really invloved repair or what?

Also do I need to replace anything else when I do this?

1969 Porsche 912 <- Sold
Old 01-07-2002, 08:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
You can get flywheels for cheaper. Used from any number of sources will be less. I can only guess since a clutch job is between 10 and 14 hrs that a flywheel would be about the same since both jobs require removing the bell housing. Since I don't know much about the autos there may be more or less involved. But if I was going in that deep I would make sure that I was replacing the rear main seal, and possibly the pilot bearing. Also you should get new fly wheel bolts as they are designed to stretch when tightened.
2005 Cayenne Turbo
2012 Panamera 4S
1999 996 Cab
Old 01-07-2002, 09:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
On the manual transmission the tranny must be dropped, the torque tube pulled back, the clutch removed, and the flywheel taken off of the engine. This usually costs $1500-2000 at a porsche mechanic including replaced clutch parts (but not flywheel).

I think it would be similar for an auto except harder. Try picking up a Haynes manual at an auto parts store and looking over the procedure. While you're in there you might consider replacing some stuff (rear main oil seal, clutch parts - or their auto analogs).

If you're considering doing it yourself and like to work on cars then it may be fun but you could probably find a good condition 944 for $4k without the problem.

Take a look at the 944 faq:

Good luck and keep us posted!
1985.5 944 N/A
Old 01-07-2002, 09:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Would have to be more like below $1500 for that kind problem any NA that you can drive away should be less than 4K . With the auto ( not desirable ), not running ( not desireable ) the rest should look like it came off the factory floor for anything more than I'd say 2k.

Prob the flex plate not the Flywheel but I could be wrong

Old 01-07-2002, 05:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 01-07-2002, 05:47 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: