Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
James Chimney

Garage
Best Bang for the Buck

I have a 85.5 944 na and was thinking "this car just doesn't have much poop" and was thinking "upgrade to the 3.0 968 motor, "S","S2", turbo?
so what do you think the best bang for the buck would be, might be a good winter project to buy an engine and swap it out or add a turbo (if you can to these motors) it has 113,000 miles or would I just do better to add a Max Chip, and exhaust (already have an aftermarket air filter, came with the car) I plan to have this car for years so resale and keeping it "stock" is not an issue for me...I just love this car 4200 miles in 4 months, 2nd most fun I have had with my cloth on in my life (25 years of sport bike riding will always be the first)

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

This is an often explained post and sometimes the response is misunderstood.

With your experience, just buy a fine used 951 and do not waste time on upgrades on the 944.

From a master wrench and "one who has his own forum" --PorscheDoc
944 HP Questions/Answers - Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

GL
John
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Honestly, the best bang for your buck would to just sell your car and buy a 944turbo...any mods to your car would be a waste of money, unless it's suspension mods.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt View Post
Honestly, the best bang for your buck would to just sell your car and buy a 944turbo...any mods to your car would be a waste of money, unless it's suspension mods.
+1

$10k will buy you a pretty good 951. Another $10k in mods and you'll have a car that will run away from about 99.9% of what's on the road out there - even factoring in more "modern" cars.

A good/solid 944 turbo can be made fiendishly fast without too much effort or expense. Bigger turbo and injectors, MAF setup, better exhaust and reprogramming. That alone will put you into 350-ish RWHP territory. It goes up from there. If you want to do the suspension too you can really make an "old" 944 into a formidable opponent that will embarrass a lot of newer "performance" cars.

Check your t-belts.

And the fuel lines.

Ask me how I know.

Black Cars Matter
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
944s are indeed a lot of fun, but the base 8 valve normally aspirated versions aren't that quick in a straight line, as others said above, your best bet is to move to an S2 or a Turbo. If you really want to keep your car, an S2 engine swap is not a terrible amount of work, but it still doesn't make much sense to do that instead of switching cars.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

well if your like me, and truly love the early model over later models, then the best bang would be to swap in a 968 motor to start off. its a direct swap less the clutch part and produces 100+ more hp than what you have now and just as much as a turbo. if that doesnt satisfy you theres always the next option of super/turbo charge the 968 engine.

while i do agree the easiest option and most economical is to sell your car and buy a 951, sometimes its just more fun to build somethin yourself
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
If you really want to keep your NA, I would build a fresh motor on the side with a bit of head work and higher compression pistons, install it, chip it, and free up the exhaust a bit. You should feel a difference. If you still want more, lighten it by going to manual sunroof and windows, lighter seats, and removing that non-functional AC system. Every 100 pounds you strip is like adding 10 HP.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I upgraded from my 924S to a 951, and have not regretted a thing. I would absolutely get a turbo.
'92 Ford F150 - Winter truck
'04 Yamaha R6
Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"Dude! You kicked my car.

Garage
Engine swaps are nice projects and certianly will add some power but they're no where as economical as just buying a 944 turbo. If you want something unique and want the expirience you can go for an engine swap, but if you just want easily gained power get a 951.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
NY944Turbo

Garage
James, some serious upgrade would be a LS1 V8 conversion which would run you over 10k for sure, but it would give you at least 350rwhp with some tweeks.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
well if your like me, and truly love the early model over later models, then the best bang would be to swap in a 968 motor to start off. its a direct swap less the clutch part and produces 100+ more hp than what you have now and just as much as a turbo. if that doesnt satisfy you theres always the next option of super/turbo charge the 968 engine.

while i do agree the easiest option and most economical is to sell your car and buy a 951, sometimes its just more fun to build somethin yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
If you really want to keep your NA, I would build a fresh motor on the side with a bit of head work and higher compression pistons, install it, chip it, and free up the exhaust a bit. You should feel a difference. If you still want more, lighten it by going to manual sunroof and windows, lighter seats, and removing that non-functional AC system. Every 100 pounds you strip is like adding 10 HP.
I think more along the lines of Vicious and Rasta. In my case, the turbo or S2s don't have better brakes or suspension, the standard argument is moot. The weak spot is the drivertrain. I will obtain a 951S transaxle in fall and build or rebuild a 3L motor, possibly Darton sleeved. Am I looking at the cost? Not as much as the entertainment value. It is more fun to build something yourself. My
.02 cents.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: