Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 968 - Side Mirror Replacement

While pulling out of a driveway the other day my side [glass] mirror decided to part company and it shattered in the street. Needless to say I'll be replacing the glass mirror soon.

Are there any tips for disassembling or re-assembling a 993 style side mirror?? I noticed there's 1 screw that can be seen after rotating the housing out. Hopefully it'll be fairly simple replacement - Porsche seems to over-engineer, so I'll probably have to disassemble the whole door...

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
If you are just replacing the glass mirror part just push back the Top of the glass and with a screw driver rotate the inner holder - If your glass is already off you should be able to see the coupling holder there so just place the new glass in place and rotate the coupling holder the opposite direction.

If you have to remove the complete housing from the body - rotate the flag top part and reveal the single vertical screw that holds it on to the car body.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks...

I found there's an access hole on the under-side of the housing for a screwdriver. The cam-lock ring makes mirror replacement fairly easy...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

my drivers side mirror also fell off this morning & shattered in my driveway.
I have the flag style mirror - i wish i had 993 mirrors - is the removal process the same?
only the glass fell off, the backing is still there, can you just get the glass & epoxy it on?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Early and late style mirrors are different once you get past the outside looks.

The first picture below is an early style Flag Mirror - the common mirror on '83 - '85 early 944's. If you wind up with the rectangular metal glass mount - then yes glue another glass in place on it - every thing else in there is riveted in place.

If you have the late style found on '85.5 and up then look at picture two and three. Picture two shows the body of the mirror and the circle attachment ring.
Picture three is the back of the glass mirror showing the rotating mounting ring - this is the one that rotates to mount/lock the glass in the housing.

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Can you see the four slots on Right Center of the mounting ring of the glass mirror - those are the ones that you can get to and move with a screwdriver to lock on the glass part. those slots will be downward when the mirror is on the car. So push to the back the top of the mirror to get room to place a screwdriver under the bottom of the glass part...have pfun.

Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
mirror , side